The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Aboriginal policy - not an issue Howard can win on > Comments

Aboriginal policy - not an issue Howard can win on : Comments

By Peter Tucker, published 6/7/2007

Howard's 'Tampa'? Kevin Rudd has every opportunity to prosper from Howard’s 'national emergency'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
HRS: "The idea that it is only aboriginal men that abuse their children is incorrect."

Yes, it's well established that a minority of non-Aboriginal men abuse their children (and other people's children) too.

"The experience in a number of negro communities in the US eventually resulted in programs to get people married."

I don't suppose you have any idea how racist a comment that is. Why is this relevant to Aboriginal communities in Australia? Because both they and "negroes" (sic.) are 'black'?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Saturday, 7 July 2007 12:18:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
CJ Morgan,

It seems that I posted to the wrong article and my comments were meant for the article by the HREOC. http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=6069

But one of my children has ¼ aboriginal blood, and I don’t think I could be classed as racist. The statistics of negro communities in the US and the statistics of aboriginal communities in Australia are very similar, and they are similar in other communities where the same thing happens.

What was found in the US was that low rates of employment combined with low rates of marriage created a whole range of social problems. Problems such as drug taking or domestic violence were secondary, or resulted from the main problems.

The repeated use of the term “women and children” by the HREOC in their article is feminist and sexist as it alienates aboriginal men in those communities and is likely to overlook the real problems occurring in those communities.
Posted by HRS, Saturday, 7 July 2007 2:39:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
HRS: "But one of my children has ¼ aboriginal blood, and I don’t think I could be classed as racist. The statistics of negro communities in the US and the statistics of aboriginal communities in Australia are very similar, and they are similar in other communities where the same thing happens."

Given your use of the term 'negro', I'm surprised you don't refer to your child as a 'quadroon'. Also, if you're going to claim the authority of statistics, you should not only state what it is that they describe, but also provide a source for them.

For example, what "same thing happens" and in which communities? Please provide the statistics that are so "similar", together with information on what it is that they measure.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Saturday, 7 July 2007 3:39:45 PM
Yes, I've always wonder what a full blooded white Australian looks like or how one defines purity of blood quantum for such mythical beings. Is John Howard a full blood?
Posted by Rainier, Saturday, 7 July 2007 9:02:14 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
HRS, lots of "white people" have children of 'mixed heritage'...does this mean they are not racist? Not in my books. You probably brag to everyone that this is evidence of your virtues - don't you? (ie drop it into the conversations here and there, like your child is a specie of dog?) Racism is much more complex than you imagine it to be.
Posted by Rainier, Saturday, 7 July 2007 9:06:26 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rainier,
You speak as though you dont think aboriginies or negroes are racist only white people. I think the truth is that all races are racist when it comes to favouring their own race over others.
That means that every body in the world is racist. That is they feel more comfortable among their own race. It feels uncomfortable if you are the only white or black person in a cafe totally filled with Japanese,and you can sense their unease at your presence as well.

This is not to single out the Japanese,this is true of any person of any race who finds themselves the only one of a different race in the middle of a huge group of another race. This is because we are all racist and thats just the way it is. To say otherwise is to deny what is true.
Posted by sharkfin, Sunday, 8 July 2007 12:57:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy