The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The myth of a new paternalism > Comments

The myth of a new paternalism : Comments

By John Hirst, published 28/6/2007

The Prime Minister's emergency intervention will preserve traditional culture.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
I fail to understand two issues here.
(1) Why have they scrapped the entry permit system? this would seem to defeat the whole purpose of this exercise, I can imagine 4 wd's full of yobbos, petrol and booze heading out for a weekend of roaring around the bush, selling slygrog, petrol and if they get lucky might get to screw a nice little underage creamy. A lot of right wing yobs have been resentful of the permit system for a long time seems like a vote catcher to me.
(2) Why have they taken control of the land? it seems like payback for Mabo to me, the idea being to drive the people from the land so that pastorlists and miners can have an open go.
I have lived in Alice Springs in the type of house they build in these outstations, Besser blocks with a tin roof, they are unbearably hot unlivable without airconditioning. Why don't we have architects expert in sustainable housing in consultation with the community buiding houses that they want, nobody respests something that is imposed on them whether they be black white or brindle.
I also lived on Melville Island in the 60's under the paternal system and that it was crap, the only part that worked properly was sanitation because the bloke in charge could speak Tiwi and understood the customs of the Tiwi people.There were no police and no grog and the most honest people I have ever lived with, there were no locks, you could leave money, smokes, grog, tools, anything laying around and nothing ever stolen. The houses weren't very well looked after but nobody used them except to keep their record players and stuff out of the rain.
My experience there taught me that without consultation and coperation you are just beating your head against a brick wall, and as I said before no respect for something imposed on them . 200 years of white domination has taught aborginals the best way to deal with whites is "yes boss" then go and do whatever.
Posted by alanpoi, Friday, 29 June 2007 12:56:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well said Dan Fitzpatrick. Anungu elder Mantatjura Wilson said on Lateline 21/6/06

we are at war within ourselves. We live in a war zone. A big war.....we suffer rapes, kidnaps, murders, arson, and torching of houses.

Wednesdays apology for a statement from those at Mutitjulu confirms their own earlier descriptions of the levels of intimidation at work within that community.

After last years revelations on Lateline by women of Mutitjulu, these same women had to pay reparations to the men, including the odious Ginger.

On another subject; if CJ morgan, FrankGol and co. are representative of the support Rudd attracts then we are in for a hate inspired government come the election.
Posted by palimpsest, Friday, 29 June 2007 8:28:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
palimpsest says: "...if CJ morgan, FrankGol and co. are representative of the support Rudd attracts then we are in for a hate inspired government come the election."

CJ Morgan and co. can speak for themselves. But if I may:

(a) I have not posted anything on this topic (until this).

(b) I do not support Kevin Rudd.

(c) Apart from that, everything palimpsest says about me is either true or false.

Oh I just love OLO. It gives me the giggles at breakfast.
Posted by FrankGol, Friday, 29 June 2007 9:40:16 AM
The personal labeling and naming on this forum sadly demonstrate why our society and its institutions are so clumsy. I doubt that face to face some of you would be so intemperate. Most have some points about the issue that may be significant. However the discussion is pretty irrelevant to the people concerned and I would guess of little value to policy wonks.

It may have taken an impending election do stir government but what does it matter? Government has acted, informed it seems to me by the ADF's experience in other communities in crisis(implicit in minister Broughs life learning and compassion for these people). I would be confident that is will succeed providing they are sensitive to healthy community needs.

What comes after is in the lap of the gods, if articulated policy is any guide.That too however must be guided firstly by the needs of these communities and to a lesser extent by our capacity to provide it.

My hope is that it will be a self development process adequately supported by us for as long as it takes. Perhaps it might a support and encouragement Commission with a life as long as is needed for the generational change required to restore a sustainable culture and leadership capacity in these communities.

Leave the theorising and ideology where it belongs and lets focus on "what is right for all concerned", what is realistic in the contemporary social environment these communities are part of, and make sure those concerned have the safe space and support to achieve it.
Posted by duncan mills, Friday, 29 June 2007 3:01:29 PM
FrankGol-nobody likes to have their opinion misrepresented by another. Or lumped in with other's opinions to prove a point.
You had no problem misrepresenting my 22/6 post in the "has M-C Become A Dirty Word" blog.
Posted by palimpsest, Friday, 29 June 2007 4:45:33 PM
MLK,

Thanks for the clarification. I have been on the editorial board of an academic journal. Reworking the English manuscripts of distinguished Chinese professors, without affont to "face" was a challenge.

Generally, I think of Pat O'Shane more in her judicial capacity, rather than her aboriginal ethnicity: Unlike, say, Noel Pearson.
Posted by Oliver, Friday, 29 June 2007 8:35:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy