The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Dogma and delusion over renewables > Comments

Dogma and delusion over renewables : Comments

By Haydon Manning, published 18/6/2007

Many anti-nuclear environmentalists overlook the fact that much has changed since the 1970s.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All
Can one breathe money instead the air? If even Parker or alike, of the inherited?

What a sort of “economic sustainability” matters if a very human existence is questionable as fossil sources are being vanishing already?

Could, please, someone delighted here explaine.
Posted by MichaelK., Tuesday, 26 June 2007 12:13:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Anti-green - you state:

1. "The complaint that governments are deliberately holding back data that is already in the public domain is absurd. To argue otherwise is to join the ranks of conspiracy theorists."

You no doubt are alluding to my earlier claim regarding freedom of information documents on leukaemia statistics where these documents are being witheld by the UK government, despite court orders.

Can you support your above claim? No, I didn't think so. All this idle chattering about "conspiracy theorists" simply reveals you are not able to substantiate your overblown rhetoric.

2. The operator of the nuclear reprocessing plant Sellafield, in the UK, has pleaded guilty and fined five hundred thousand pounds for allowing the escape of 83,000 litres of acid, 20 tonnes of uranium and 160 kilograms of plutonium.

Gee, that must have been during the Chernobyl era? Modern technology doesn't allow for those stuff-ups in the developed world -does it?

I'm afraid so. That Sellafield prosecution occurred in October 2006.

3. Eminent nuclear chemist and cardiologist, John W Gofman, then Professor Emeritus of Molecular and Cell Biology at the University of California said in his paper titled "Radiation Induced Cancers from Low-dose Exposure:"

"By any reasonable standard of biomedical proof, there is no safe dose which means that just one decaying radioactive atom can produce permanent mutation in a cell's genetic molecules.

"The fact that humans cannot escape exposure to ionizing radiation from natural background sources is no reason to let human activities increase exposure to ion radiation."

"Conspiracy" theories on my part, Anti-green?

The conspiracies, dogma and delusions are, I'm afraid, all entrenched in the pro-nukes constant web of misinformation of which you are a member.
Posted by dickie, Tuesday, 26 June 2007 4:53:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This will be my last post on the subject of nuclear power. It didn't take me long to realize that many people are simply abusing the forum to spew a lot of unsupported positions and too often some rather venomous comments.

If any of you would be interested in having a lively but courteous and dignified discussion on the subject, I suggest we do it by email. If this interests you, my email address is quite simple: ralph@nucleargreen.org. This subject is far too important to me to see it reduced to name-calling and insults.

I'll look forward to hearing from any of you who are willing to agree or disagree as gentlemen (and ladies)

Ralph Andrews
Posted by Troublemaker, Tuesday, 26 June 2007 5:32:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ralph Andrews,

I would still like to know why you still think geothermal power and solar-thermal power are exhaustible forms of energy, “band-aids” you say.

Please have the decency to reply before you take the ball home.

Will say it again -

I for one would like to see a mix of energy supplies, nuclear power is ok in some countries, and the technology for its safe use will only get better.

However, WE DO NOT NEED NUCLEAR POWER IN AUSTRALIA YET and probably won’t for a long time to come – for the many reasons alluded to in previous posts and contrary to what many in the nuclear lobby (including Ralph Andrews) suggest.
Posted by davsab, Tuesday, 26 June 2007 5:57:36 PM
Ralph

Your views are appreciated.

Please stick at it, and just ignore those who can’t tolerate the views of those with whom they disagree without being offensive.

It is much better that your views be presented on this forum where they can be read by hundreds of people than be confined to one-on-one email exchanges.

I don’t agree that nuclear power is our saviour. But I do want to hear the sorts of views that you presenting.

Cheers
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 26 June 2007 7:55:37 PM
Ralf “Troublemaker” Andrews,

This is my last post in this topic either, not because I am pro-green and surprised with opposition to further exporting Australian-produced pollution but using own nuke resources locally, quite opposite: majority of disputants have only emotions expressed, while as usual in Australia, being very short of a factual, engineering especially, approach to the issues.

Thank you for your e-address, maybe, one day
Posted by MichaelK., Wednesday, 27 June 2007 2:35:55 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All