The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Religion has never been good for our health > Comments

Religion has never been good for our health : Comments

By Brian Holden, published 15/6/2007

Straight-forward scientific research is at the mercy of the educated, but scientifically illiterate, supported by a cheer squad of know-nothings.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12
  13. All
Fellow Human:
"Hamas (Muslims) are fighting Fatah (Muslims) Were you sleeping for the last few years?"

Fatah are at least secular. Hamas are religious lunatics, already imposing their brand of dogma on the populace, including restrictions ("protection money") on the few remaining Christians.

Both these mobs reckon they can run a country. What a joke!
Posted by Viking, Friday, 15 June 2007 5:17:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
DEMOS,

A trench digger is a machine, which improves human performance. Improving our brains might our cortex neuroclusters from confusing survival inputs/instincts from the limbic system and lower brain functions as confabulations such as religion. We could be neuroformed for the better. This could drive a stake into the heart of primitivism and substitition. With better brians we might better understand things we can quite grasp now.

Regarding circulation the classical ching lo system was probably systematised around 200 CE, William Harvey's De Moti Cotdis et Sanguinis in Anumalibus was published in 1628. I know that we have have an explosion in the amount of knowledge available to us and are making fast progress. However, I would suggest we are 300-500 years away from fundamentally changing our species. Beyond then we could be like amphibans were with land and water; We could live in real and virual worlds. Consider we might be even able to network in that virual world.

Having solved the "bubbles" problem with crygenic suspension, we could alter time in our suspended state, where we could be virtual immortals, by pereiving our world in different increments to the outside world, living a million years in our referial frame; while only one day has elapsed in world. We could exist to the real world periodically to serve what ever needs to be done. Who needs God?

Mechanical machines need only to operate reliably for years and be maintained for decades. Our futire progeny live say 120 years in world time, but perceive the Ages.

[p.s. In 1977, in my Sydney U. Pych. class, I wrote a paper on the use of undifferentiated [read stem] cells in the treatment of pituitary gland. So, some of my past specuations have come to akin fruition.]
Posted by Oliver, Friday, 15 June 2007 5:24:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Stop and Think. Why don't you do just that? Let me ask you this :

. Have you met God, or even spoken to him? In which case what did he/ have to say?,

. How do you there is not a divine person here today? A new Jesus or even Jesus himself? What would it take for you to believe him if he was here. Or her?

Enda.If I listen to you all scientists will be Catholics. Currently I think there are one or two who ain't.

Runner. Believe in evolution? What do you believe? The "God created the Earth in 8 days and then had a day off" rubbish? Does God have an AWA by the way? Has he renogotiated his work week with all you believers?

Well said Aime. The brain washing is more subtle in Western countries but Muslims in countries like Afghanistan and Pakistan aren't. Ever seen that video of the little boys sitting, repeating someone else's words for hours on end. Day after day? Anyone call that belief? As for Catholics, anyone heard of the Spanish Inquisiton? Now there's a fair way to decide on your beliefs.

All those "believers" cry today that atheists are trying to put them down for those beliefs. By talking and writing. Vicious people.

Wow, and what do believers do and what have they done for millenia? Any violence or coercion? Nahh, can't think of any. Sorry, man didn't exist until 2000 years ago did he. Some alien planted all those fossils and dinosaurs. Right? Or does God have a wicked sense of humour and planted them to fool some?

Wobbles, I agree totally. God exists only in people's minds actually.

OLP is heavily populated by people who believe in religion (God knows why (pun intended) and political barrackers who believe totally in one side or the other. I see no difference between these groups as they have one thing in common. They don't think for themselves and rely on what others tell them to think, do and believe.
Posted by RobbyH, Friday, 15 June 2007 7:00:38 PM
I've been watching some video of victorious Hamas screaming "Sieg Heil."

Errr, I mean "Allahu Akhbar."

Come to think of it, is there a difference?

Once people become crazed with a religion or a political ideology reason goes out the window.

Brian Holden is fundamentally correct but wrong to single out Christianity or Catholicism.

The reason why Europe moved ahead in science is because the Europeans invented the separation of religion and state.

The reason the Muslim world remained a stagnant backwater is because they didn't.

In Europe secular society won the power struggle. In Dar-ul-Islam the clergy won.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Friday, 15 June 2007 7:09:53 PM
Ok 'stop&think': nobody is 'trying to silence believers who act in public life'. That is a figment of your imagination. You don't appear to be able to read, let alone reason. Wanting to dimish the influence of religion does not imply 'silencing' believers.

Nor did I (or anybody else on this thread) demand that you 'prove' embryos are 'human'. I did not shift any goal posts. I am not terribly interested in reading any more 'proofs' by religious zealots, having been subjected to some fifty-odd years of such codswallop to date. But I am not about to try to prevent you posting more of them for me and many others to savour.

I do not accept the destruction of live human beings i.e. those embryos that have been born, unless they at some later stage decide to terminate their lives, or participate in a just activity which endangers their life.

Is rock rock when immense heat deep beneath the earth begins to change and mix the chemistry of various metals, or when it has been expelt from the volcano and begun to cool? or at some mysterious moment when its 'rock soul' mysteriously enters its rocky self?

No, it is lava or some such, until it has become rock.

In the same way, an embryo is an embryo, and begins to become a human being once it is born.

It is not necessarily bad to destroy an embryo, if that is what the mother wishes. Artificially created embryos have no 'mother'.

The goalposts are at the moment of birth, not that of conception.

Free your mind with thought, measuable evidence and logic.

Dan The Free Thinker.
Posted by Dan Fitzpatrick, Friday, 15 June 2007 7:22:07 PM
Seeing as the discussion has taken a rather more philosophical bent, this is a great link:

http://www.elroy.net/ehr/abortionanswers.html
Posted by BN, Friday, 15 June 2007 7:51:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12