The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Balibo inquest shows the futility of appeasement > Comments

Balibo inquest shows the futility of appeasement : Comments

By Bruce Haigh, published 14/6/2007

The coronial inquest into the killing of five journalists in East Timor in 1975 has demonstrated that, eventually, the truth will out.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
PTBI, your comments on the Australian justice system are laughable in the light of the Indonesian "courts" recent decisions to execute Christians who "instigated" riots against Muslims while handing down mere gaol sentences to men who courageously beheaded Christian schoolgirls with parangs.

As for our "support" of Indonesia's brutal and illegal takeover of Timor Leste, our then government would have had more sympathy with Fretelin than your savage dictator, but were busy with other things. True, subsequent governments have bent over backwards to appease Indonesia, but even the thickest politician (with the possible exception of Downer, who is thicker than most) has woken up to the neo-colonial threat posed by the Indonesian government, especially given their pathetic handling of the jihadi Bashir case.

The "Communist threat" you alude to in your rant was just another excuse for Indonesia to kill thousands (like you did with the Chinese minority). Are the West Papuans Communists or is there another excuse for wiping them out?
Posted by Viking, Friday, 15 June 2007 7:55:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In my opinion there are two grounds on which your comments carry no weight PtbI.
The first is that you ignore completely the known facts
surrounding what happened at Balibo and secondly you hide your inane
contribution behind a pseudonym.
That lacks courage. Would you make the same comments if you had to put your name to them?
I can understand someone using a pseudonym in order to be able to speak out and avoid getting the sack or worse if they happen to work in Howard's public service.
If I write an article and put my name to it common decency should demand that a commentator should put their own name to it. Too often it is an excuse to deploy dutch courage such as VK3AUU.
Are you saying VK3AUU that Damien Parer deserved to die because he knew that the Japanese were intent on aggression and would kill him if they could?
Are you saying that Tony Joyce deserved to be killed by ZANU on the Zambian/Rhodesia border? Do you think Neil Davis deserved to die filming an attempted coup in Bangkok?
Bruce Haigh
Posted by Bruce Haigh, Friday, 15 June 2007 2:34:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
DEMOS,

Can you elaborate on your comments, or, like most from the far leftist herd, do you simply 'follow the leader' and not know why you don't like what I wrote?

Everything in my post is logical. Indonesia is a largely bigoted society, reflected in their Islamic values. Women don't have the same rights as males, and non-Muslims are routinely discriminated against, kidnapped, even killed.

Show me where I've demonstrated ignorance, as again, when politicians meet with murderous Islamists like Bashir, and there are no protests to have the politician removed - I believe it represents bigotry in that society.

Show me where I was arrogant, or do you believe that tribal, sectarian values, where intolerance and violence are the order of the day, are on equal footing with western values of tolerance, equality for men and women, minorities, i.e, where women have the SAME rights under the law as males.

You sure it's me who's ignorant?

Show me where I'm racially intolerant, unless you think it is intolerant to be intolerant of those who are disgustingly intolerant of all ways other than their own. Westerners can show reasons, we can argue, point for point, why it is better to consider every human being equal in value, but Islamists will have a hard time convincing me that homosexuals should be stoned to death, women are worth half a man in court, and non-Muslims are inferior beings who must pay a poll-tax to Muslims in order to remain alive.

Now I know Indonesia doesn't practice all these, although they do in some parts - like Aceh, but their treatment of women is there for all to see - and they, like EVERY Muslim nation, are ocassionally attacked by the cowardly UN for such treatment.

You have no argument. And I stand by my earlier claim, such cultures, such value systems, need to be genocidede. The people can then start again, with civilised western values, which is what they all want anyway - people from third world flock here non-stop.

This gives us a MANDATE to destroy their backward values they fled.
Posted by Benjamin, Friday, 15 June 2007 6:37:18 PM
Bruce Haig.

If you wish to put my pseudonym into Google you will readily find who I am. I don't try to hide it.
All those people who you name, knew the risks they were taking before they went into the combat areas and they went voluntarily, unlike the troops who they accompanied. It is indeed unfortunate that they lost their lives and that is to be regretted, but to blame others for their deaths is a bit disingenuous.
Posted by VK3AUU, Friday, 15 June 2007 7:12:46 PM
Benjamin.

If you think the U.S. and the George W's allies are so lilly white, read what Dick Marty has to say about extraordinary renditions at
http://www.voltairenet.org/article148224.html or read the whole report at
http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/ssi/full_report_marty_060807.pdf

We are no better than the Indonesians.
Posted by VK3AUU, Friday, 15 June 2007 8:02:56 PM
Now don't be silly VK3AUU.Stop,think and consider what it is you want to say before you post.What a silly thing to say. Why should I chase through Google looking for your name? If, as you imply, its easily traceable then use it. What sort of game are you playing? My point stands,if you want your comments to carry weight,if you want to be taken seriously,if you want to change things for the better,use your name. Otherwise it is just a self indulgent whistle in the dark which will disappear into the eather.I urge you to have the self confidence to join in and make a difference.
Posted by Bruce Haigh, Friday, 15 June 2007 11:23:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy