The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How to shoot yourself in the foot > Comments

How to shoot yourself in the foot : Comments

By David Flint, published 8/6/2007

The decision to drop Alan Jones from 'Today' is going to leave many viewers disappointed.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
David,

I actually believed your article for a second that maybe Aussies liked the guy.

Now that I can see only 1 out of 20 is missing him (Benjamin). I can contribute with my opinion:

In comparsion to others (australian like ray martin and l. Oakes and non-Australian); Jones manipulate viewers with pre conceived views and lots of prejudice, he is also channel 9 and the media 's face of racism to many ethnic Australians.
Needless to mention his comments to initiate the Cronulla march (that turned into a riot) and putting us in the wrong global media causing them to accuse beautiful open arms Australia of racism.

I can say NOW I can start watching channel 9 and listen to the talkback radio. No wait, he is still on talk back.
Posted by Fellow_Human, Sunday, 10 June 2007 11:08:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Benjamin, hasn't it occurred to you that the decision by Chanel Nine's Today programme to manage without Alan Jones might just be pure, unsullied, crystal-clear commercial nous?

Everybody reaches their use-by date at some stage. Unless there is a public backlash that consists of slightly more than you and David Flint, I expect that Channel Nine will view his disappearance as commercially justified.

I expect they said to him "Alan, we've no idea how we will ever manage without you, but nevertheless we are going to try."
Posted by Pericles, Sunday, 10 June 2007 3:26:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Benjamin, do you know what the words xenophobia or racism mean? Look them up in the dictionary before using them next.
Posted by yvonne, Sunday, 10 June 2007 8:26:52 PM
I suspect Benjamin is just having a lend of us. For example he says "I believe the decision to axe Alan Jones from the Today show represents the darkness of the liberal western media." I mean, Western civilization's gunna collapse because The Parrot's not on the air? The Alan Jones Show represents the last bastion of Enlightenment values in the media? Oh, please tell me you're joking Benjamin?

I didn't even know Alan Jones was on the Today Show and I had to look up the TV guide to find out when it was on. I've got better things to do between 6 and 9 am than watching TV (eg eating breakfast, getting dressed, catching a train etc).

So The Parrot's not on TV any more. Who cares? If Flinty hadn't pointed it out, no-one would even have noticed.
Posted by Johnj, Sunday, 10 June 2007 8:58:49 PM
Yea Flinty how are your feet.
Posted by Bruce Haigh, Sunday, 10 June 2007 10:10:08 PM
Alan Jones is not pretty enough too old and not groovy for TV.He is probably too intellectual and analytical for most TV audiences.Channel Nine will do whatever is popular to improve ratings.

With our growing affluence the soft option bleeding hearts will come to the fore,creating more Govt Depts to help people that can do it themselves.When Labor gets back in,the boom and bust cycle of the 1980's will be back.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 11 June 2007 10:54:45 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy