The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Ali is pop star of intolerance > Comments

Ali is pop star of intolerance : Comments

By Greg Barns, published 4/6/2007

The media should stop lauding Ayaan Hirsi Ali: she makes life more difficult for Muslims wherever she goes.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 18
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. Page 21
  10. All
Hi Danielle,

There are a number of references on Islamic arts. There is a flash demo below in the art gallery of NSW.
http://www.khalili.org/islamic-collection.html
http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/sub/islam/index.html

In terms of Islamic philosophers, you can distinguish 4 key groups:

1. The ‘spiritual/ mystic’ group: perhaps the most famous philosopher that comes to mind is Fethullah Gullen (www.fethullahgullen.org). He is into mystic spirituality of Islam.

2. The ‘secular modernist’ group: lead by Dr Hassan Hanafi, professor of philosophy at Cairo university, Egypt. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hassan_Hanafi

3. The ‘modern conservatives’ and interfaith dialogue lead by NY based Imam Faisal Abdul Raouf.

4. The ‘historical conservatives’ or Islamic neo-con: lead by Dr Yousself Qaradawi.

“ Learning philosophy at school is important. A European, also taught philosophy when at school, told me that until philosophy becomes a subject at school level here, our education will be gravely lacking”

Agree 100%, philosophy should be a must at school as it expands the mind.

Peace,
Posted by Fellow_Human, Tuesday, 26 June 2007 5:35:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fellow_Human

Hi, I did look at that site you gave us discussing the differences between Islam and Judaism. I have to say that regarding Judaism the article was full of basic errors. For example Rabbi Hillel made it very clear that Judaism accepts that Paradise is equally available to any one who is basically good, and that Jews have no special entry cards.

Also orthodox Jews do lend to each other on interest, a recent case hit the headlines.

Judaism has a very strong strong belief in a continuing Rabbinic interpretation of the laws of God. The faithful never go direct to the Bible for an interpretation but rely on these Rabbinic views.

The two faiths are of course very similar in many ways, as you say Judaism is probably closer to Islam than to Christianity..
Posted by logic, Saturday, 30 June 2007 5:38:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Logic,

What about those 613 pomegrante seeds! That's a bit of a bummer ...

Being a Jew, albeit secular, you know the Jewish Rabbi, Hillel, who lived some 100 years before Christ, when asked if he could summarize Hebrew law, (i.e. the Torah) stated:

“Do not do unto others what you would not have them do unto you.”

"What you hold as detestable do not do unto your neighbour" is imbedded in Judaic tradition.

Jesus Christ, a Jew, altered the wording to:

“Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you.”

[I really get very ruffled when Christians claim this rule as specifically their own, citing it to verify the Christian religion as being the one “true” one - all other religions, apparently “goats”. As you know Jesus wasn’t very fond of goats - indeed, was quite antipathetic to them. Sheep were his “thing”. A bit strange, as I thought goats more suited to his environment ...]

But moving along ...

In different “wording”, this rule is found In Islamic tradition, Hindu tradition, and Confucian tradition.

In philosophy, this “golden rule” is central to Kantian morality.

Fellow_Human,

Which philosophers did you study at your French school? My mother did her thesis on philosophy at the Sorbonne (also had a degree from another European university). She seemed to favour Existentialism. Undoubtedly, you are not my mother’s generation, so was wondering if it is still in favour in France, and/or what other philosophers are taught.

Peace as always
Posted by Danielle, Saturday, 30 June 2007 10:15:02 PM
Yes Hillel said “Do not do unto others what you would not have them do unto you,” and then added "that is the whole law (Torah) the rest is all commentary".

I believe that Confucius said something similar, given the distances between the two societies they must have independently arrived at the same principle.

Christians also try to claim "love your neighbor as yourself" when in fact it comes straight out of the Old Testament. I would rather dwell on the similarities between the religions and with the humanists.
Posted by logic, Saturday, 30 June 2007 11:01:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 18
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. Page 21
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy