The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Catholics limiting choice > Comments

Catholics limiting choice : Comments

By Rodney Croome, published 6/6/2007

Who defines 'Catholic'? Will students be turned away from Catholic schools because their parents are single, in de facto relationships or not regular church goers?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Catholic Mum of 3, As a Catholic who chooses not to send my children to Catholic schools your views epitomise the reasons why I do not. The primitive view that homosexuals are destroying thier souls is archaic and dangerous. Look at the enormous damage caused to the Catholic church by homosexual priests in the past who had to bury their sexuality and I believe often resulted in the sexual child abuse that is still coming to light. Many surveys have shown that the number of homosexuals in the clergy is actually much higher than in the rest of the population. Your willingness to accept 50's style church dogma shows a lack of true Christian belief in accepting all, forgiveness and actually encourages homophobia. People such as your self help to perpetuate the Catholic ghetto mentality that along with a certain smug superiority pervades much of the Catholic school system.
Posted by pdev, Friday, 8 June 2007 10:00:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Catholic'Mom'of3 - I'm glad you're spreading your hate in the US, not here.

Of course, you don't give any reason for why homosexuality is a sin. It's simply 'sinful.' Why? Because 'it's sinful' or 'god said so.'

Much the same as Islamic extremist prejudice against non-believers. 'God said so' or 'it's a sin.'
Even though you don't express your views with violence, at the heart, lies the same bigotry.

You don't have reasons. Only commandments. Therefore, you can't be reasoned with, because you're not capable of negotiating - you've left all that to a higher power. How nice and convenient to not have to use your own reasoning powers, instead being able to resort to a handbook to justify your hatred.

What business is it of yours, and what right have you to judge what people do in their own homes - they're not harming you.

In the way you claim to be friends with homosexuals but won't countenance their way of life, I'm sure they feel the same way about your irrational prejudice - it's that kind of prejudice that has so much sectarian violence occurring throughout the world, with people unable to resolve their differences.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Friday, 8 June 2007 10:12:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I always crack a wry smile when the likes of CatholicMomOf3 claim to have gay friends. Yeah, right! And I'm a Catholic "Mom" of 10.

The problem our dear Catholic mother and like-minded Torquemadas face in wanting to purge the Catholic education system of gays (and others who don't toe the "correct" line on homosexuality) is that the system would be in danger of falling in a heap. Then again, why am I complaining about that?
Posted by DavidJS, Friday, 8 June 2007 11:29:00 AM
Before we all join a rush to gang up on CMO3, I’d like to point out that there are a few things about ‘her’ posts that don’t add up.

First, ‘she’ is quite out of step with most catholics these days. The Australia Institute’s 2005 survey found that only 35% per cent of catholics think that homosexuality is immoral http://www.tai.org.au/documents/downloads/WP79.pdf (Page 14), so the very fundamentalist views ‘she’ is expressing are actually quite extreme within the catholic church. I know quite a few catholic mums, and I’ve never heard one of them talk like this.

Second, the style of rhetoric is more what we get from less mainstream fundamentalist christians. Catholicism emphasises the new testament, while COM3’s views are firmly rooted in the old testament.

Third, CMO3 joined OLO to participate in this discussion. Also noteworthy is that ‘she’ chose the American spelling of Mom.

In short, I reckon CMO3 is a fraud, and ‘her’ posts are trolls, intended to do nothing more than provoke an extreme reaction. I’d recommend ignoring them.
Posted by jpw2040, Friday, 8 June 2007 11:49:51 AM
If CMO3 is for real (which I'm also doubtful of), then she's probably immune to argument anyway. She has the ever circular 'faith' argument to fall back on. Still, its worth remembering that with three kids, there's a 15% chance one of them will turn out gay. Maybe that would change her tone a little.
Posted by spendocrat, Friday, 8 June 2007 1:20:49 PM
The Catholic Church teaches: "Basing itself on sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered. They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved" (Catechism of the Catholic Church 2357).

The Church also acknowledges that "[homosexuality’s] psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. . . . The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s cross the difficulties that they may encounter from their condition.

"Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection" (CCC 2357– 2359).

Jewish and Christian scholars have recognized that one of the chief sins involved in God’s destruction of Sodom was its people’s homosexual behavior. The Sodom incident is not the only time the Old Testament deals with homosexuality. An explicit condemnation:(Lev. 18:22, 20:13).

Those who oppose homosexual behavior are often charged with "homophobia..because they are "afraid" of homosexuals. This argument attempts to stop rational discussion by shifting the focus to one of the participants.

The vast majority of those who oppose homosexual behavior are not "afraid" of homosexuals. One can disagree with something without fearing it, and the attempt to shut down rational discussion by crying "homophobe!" falls flat. It is an attempt to divert attention from the arguments against one’s position by focusing attention on the one who made the arguments, while trying to claim the moral high ground against him
Posted by CatholicMomOf3, Friday, 8 June 2007 10:38:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All