The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Indefinite incarceration - human rights at work in NSW > Comments

Indefinite incarceration - human rights at work in NSW : Comments

By Ya'el Frisch, published 6/6/2007

A Charter of Human Rights could make a real difference to the plight of forensic patients in NSW.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
I agree with most of your views, but i feel that you do not have much experience at the coal face.
Good intentions by some good people has been going on for many decades past.
The NSW government has a charter of mental health, which is not read or heeded by many. Politicians are ignorant and uninterested in mental health as it not a vote gatherer.
The Forensic Psychiatric section of Long Bay Gaol has been in place for decades, it was used in my time as a nurse, for all sorts of problem inmates who in many cases were not suffering from a mental illness, i doubt it has changed at all.
The prison community is a reflection of society in general and apart from a lot of talk by federal and state politicians about improving conditions and care and facilities for people with a mental illness, no action has been taken to address so much hurt and suffering experienced by people, including their families and loved ones, with a mental illness.
The collective thinking of our self interested society, will not change without enforcing human rights, by law.
Too many people with a mental illness end up in prison for petty crimes, in already overcrowded conditions, due to the State,s inadequate services in our communities.
I admire anyone who advocates for the person with a mental illness, i wish there were many more like you.
Posted by Sarah101, Thursday, 7 June 2007 9:48:52 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy