The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Black dog isn't really invincible > Comments

Black dog isn't really invincible : Comments

By Geoff Gallop, published 10/5/2007

Imagine a world in which every second feels like a year and the ability to laugh has been extinguished.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Baba and Lesley, I'm sorry to hear you sounding so alone. I don't know if this would be helpful or not, but you can connect with others (from your homes) at depressioNet. See
http://depressionet.com.au/
Posted by Media, Monday, 21 May 2007 2:29:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you Media for your concern. Even at this less than personal level, I found it very helpful. I will have a look at the site you
mention.

Lesley
Posted by lesley, Monday, 21 May 2007 2:37:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
lesley & baba, if I could be of help I'd also recommend Beyond Blue (www.beyondblue.org.au). When it comes to serious depression all options should be explored.
Posted by DavidJS, Tuesday, 22 May 2007 8:23:43 AM
DavidJS and Media. You two are amongst a handful of commenters on this
topic, who seem to have an understanding of what depression is. For the benefit of others who have commented in a cursory way, let me say
that the word depression can be misconstrued. Yes, part of the symptomology is sadness, and also suicidal ideation. Some others are constipation, slowness in speech, inability to concentrate, pain in
all joints,(deep stress related), memory loss, complete lack of interest in the world around you, and no matter how hard you try to be interested and involved, eventually you can just become like a rag doll, sitting on a chair, staring into the middle distance, sometimes for years. You don't cry anymore because you cannot feel anything, no emotion whatsoever, you don't wash, you're not hungry.......and if you get to that stage meds. probably won't help, shock treatment won't help, lobotomy is not even an option (that's another story). Post-natal depression is an acute depressive episode, which, in the olden days went unrecognised, for a mother not to be interested in her newborn is the epitomy of someone who is 'not present', completely abnormal,.......get the picture? Being told to pull your socks up
only adds to the sufferers distress in the beginning, after that
the statement has no effect on you. They locked people in asylums in the old days, (mostly women) labelling them as 'mad'. They were not.
I didn't get to the rag doll stage thank God, but I was very close!

Once again, Thank you two for the empathy,and suggestions. I am not locked in my house wanting to die, I think Baba certainly needs some loving attention and care, and Geoff Kennett's initiative, Beyond Blue
is a great place to start.
Posted by lesley, Tuesday, 22 May 2007 9:45:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy