The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A gross miscarriage of justice > Comments

A gross miscarriage of justice : Comments

By Bernie Matthews, published 7/5/2007

The scales of justice no longer seem sit equally in New South Wales.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All
I found this article very interesting, and it gave me lots to think about, with good useful links for further reading.

However, I found many comments on the article disturbing, eg this eternally wandering sentence: "I rather suspect that Hamlet is either an ex-cop or a cop or a paedofile or probably both,and he is not a very good at reading stuff, his counter attack on me attributed things to me that I never said, then he went off on a tangent attacking what I didn't say, he just doesn't read things properly, probably poor education to match his intelligence, as I said before he is a fool and he has only reinforced that opinion, and quite frankly I don't believe a word he says." I can certify that hamlet is not a cop, not an ex-cop, not a "paedofile" [reading the dictionary helps in these cases], and not an ermined judge for that matter. I can also certify that hamlet is in fact very good at reading "stuff" [I'm guessing what that means, most of us read books, cases, poems etc rather than "stuff"], that he has a high level of education to match his intelligence and his hard work, and that he is no fool. I am not sure which word the commentor doesn't believe. This is the kind of inanity that tries to pass itself off as rational debate in Australia these days. The time spent writing it would be much better spent reading, and re-reading, the material that the article author and hamlet have provided, and working on that basis to the truth of the matter. I think there is a truth to be had here, not simply the sound and fury of insults. I'm going off now to read the cases... Helen
Posted by isabelberners, Friday, 11 May 2007 9:17:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Helen, while I agree with many of your comments and am appalled at the attacking of the writers rather than their arguments(note that it occurred from both sides!), I would argue forcefully that it is a product of 'public' forums like this one ... and indeed talkback radio.
On one hand it is wonderful that everyone is allowed a voice and it is up to readers to discriminate rather, I think, than retaliate. Writing vindicatively and nastily may release pent up passions but the insults ruin rational argument. On the other, it can become a site for the extremes who know it all. Unfortunately, when I read Hamlet it is the way I interpret his 'work'.
So enjoy the references and the reading. I think that both sides of the Catt matter were as degenerate as the other and just wonder whether any system of law could settle it. It may be a product of an adversarial system?
Posted by aka-Ian, Saturday, 12 May 2007 9:01:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I was in jail with Roseanne Catt for eighteen months, (from my own stupid white collar crime) whilst she profoundly claimed her innocence, but it fell on deaf ears. She is a lovely person, helping others and offering all the support she could give to people less fortunate than herself. She has had to give up 10 years of her lifetime because of these dreadful men and she did it very tough in jail because noone would belief her innocence. How she survived day after day, I will never know, I could not have lasted the distance. The justice system certainly failed her.

HB
Posted by hb, Wednesday, 16 May 2007 11:24:13 AM
She may have profusely claimed her innocence.., enough so she even believed she was innocent. But she has never been aquitted of the most serious of the crimes she committed.
Posted by jess_12, Wednesday, 5 September 2007 12:13:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy