The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Fair cop on media ruling, Mr Jones > Comments

Fair cop on media ruling, Mr Jones : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 20/4/2007

Surely shock jocks, of all people, wouldn't want to see anyone get away with breaking the law?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. All
Leigh, it's no use getting indignant at Irfan about the age business. The fact that most of Jones' listeners are aged over 55 was first brought up by Jones himself as one of the cornerstones of his defence to ACMA.

Jones submitted to ACMA that the fact that the largest group of listeners are aged over 55 meant he couldn't have incited a riot that involved mostly people of 19-27 (age and IQ).

Nielsen Media Research also shows that 2GB leads the way in age 55+ readers, with 21.8% compared to nearest rival 2UE on about 16%.

So if Irfan is showing "contempt" by mentioning the age of Jones' listeners, how you describe Jones' attitude in using their age as a key defence against the complaint? Or AC Nielsen for releasing figures about it?

Advertisers, who keep Jones on air, want to know the age and other characteristics of his audience, so they can decide whether they wish to spend big bucks advertising on his show. If you would prefer that the audience age was not discussed, then advertisers will simply cease spending their money, and Jones will have to hang up his mike. (Not a bad outcome, actually...)

However, as Meg reminds us, there are many many Jones fans aged under 50. So maybe Jones' age-based defence isn't as solid as he would like us to believe...

And Leigh, I hope your regular rants here aren't representative of most Australians. You certainly don't speak for me.
Posted by Mercurius, Friday, 20 April 2007 3:07:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Alan Jones has just been fined $1,000 and placed on a 9 month good behaviour bond for naming a 14 year old witness in a murder trial.

"Prosecutor Peter Miller told Deputy Chief Magistrate Helen Syme Jones had editorialised the article and added his own comment, which could have had a negative consequence for the boy."

Jones cares about one thing, his ratings. If he keeps this up he will end up in jail
Posted by Steve Madden, Friday, 20 April 2007 3:16:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
TurnRightThenLeft,
Thank you, my sentiments exactly. Since being on this forum, I've realised with shame, the degree of bigotry and racism that the muslim community has to put up with in this country. I've now watched this author put up three posts, posing reasonable and interesting issues being hijacked by a bunch of paranoid pseudo intellectuals (and I'm being very, very generous!), who would do a neo nazi gathering proud.

I hope the author keeps popping these posts out and driving them into these frenzies of rage - great entertainment and it might be a timely warning as to where the threat to our society really resides.
Posted by Netab, Friday, 20 April 2007 3:16:53 PM
Seriously, some people on this forum need to improve their English language skills. This article is not about religion or age. Rather, it is about the double standards and hypocrisy of the allegedly conservative establishment. Whether Jones spoke of bikey gangs bashing up Middle Easterners or Greeks of Asians or Buddhists or Catholics is really immaterial. The message would be the same.
Posted by Irfan, Friday, 20 April 2007 3:53:13 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Netab, just a small correction to your post. Muslims aren’t a race. They are a religion. We know that the lines are deliberately blurred so that they can play the victim. Confusing race with religion might see you lumped in with other pseudo intellectuals. And people can say all sorts of vile and disgusting things as long as they can hide behind religion. Have you read the Qur’an lately?
Posted by Sage, Friday, 20 April 2007 4:07:19 PM
Numbat

If you want Irfan to reply to your posts, try writing coherently, instead of the drivel that you regularly serve up. I don't necessarily agree with everything Irfan writes but frankly, I wouldn't dignify your ranting with a response either.

Instead of scrawling abusive and incorrect (yes, I've read your tortured attempts to justify the term 'pagan moslem' before and it was rubbish) statements, try to come up with a non-emotive and logical argument - who knows, Irfan might even engage with you! I won't hold my breath for an improvement though...
Posted by stickman, Friday, 20 April 2007 4:24:52 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy