The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Getting to grips with obesity > Comments

Getting to grips with obesity : Comments

By Kevin Norton, published 13/4/2007

Obesity: we have work places that are all but designed to kill people - purposely discouraging any movement.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
While I am sure there are some people with genes that promote more fat retention than others. I was always led to believe it was a question of "calories in and calories out". When I was at school in England in the fifties we had to take exercise every day and if the playing fields were flooded or covered in snow which stopped the rugby or whatever, then we had to do a minimum 3 mile run followed by a cold shower. This was in addition to physical training for half an hour every morning. Needless to say there were no overweight boys in those days. Now in my seventies I still swim a kilometer a day. Start right and it is not so hard to keep fit and the weight off.
Posted by snake, Friday, 13 April 2007 6:08:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As an employer, the Commonwealth Government has ensured that its own compensation insurer and compensation law are geared to either knock back, or contest to extreme lengths, any claim that senior managers do not want accepted. Then there are the professionals who were quick to recognise the profits in being hired guns.

In this environment it is unlikely that unhealthy workplaces and management practices will be identified. It is also likely that claimants will be sledged, passed over for promotion and terminated when convenient.

Of course there are many examples of unhealthy workplaces and management practices, one has to only look at the optimisation of computer technology to see that. However a government that is uncaring enough not to entertain any limits on junk food advertising directed at children is more likely to blame the victim than improve the system, be it in the workplace or elsewhere.
Posted by Cornflower, Sunday, 15 April 2007 10:08:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy