The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Intolerance in schools funding debate > Comments

Intolerance in schools funding debate : Comments

By Stephen O'Doherty, published 2/4/2007

Christian schools have generally been in working class and lower middle class areas, providing choice not previously available to families.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
shorbe

Public education is being "degraded" through a lack of government support and through people deserting to private schools, not by those who have remained loyal to the system. Teachers in public schools are working under increasingly difficult circumstances and the vast majority of them are doing a great job. They don't deserve to have their efforts denigrated as you've done and what's more without any substantiation of your claims.

Just because you've had a bad experience, please don't fall into the trap of tarring everyone with the same brush. I've worked in lots of public schools and without exception found them to be successful, vibrant and progressive places of learning. They are providing a much needed model of inclusiveness and collaboration and greatly enhance their local communities.
Posted by Bronwyn, Wednesday, 11 April 2007 12:36:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bravo, Bronwyn! That's my experience too.
Posted by ybgirp, Wednesday, 11 April 2007 5:34:40 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bronwyn: In the end, it comes down to personal experience though. You've had good personal experiences, or have perceived them as such. I, and others, have had bad personal experiences, or have perceived them as such. I can't, and don't, presume to tell you what your experiences or perceptions have been, but neither should you to others.

Having independent alternatives in education is about personal choice. We allow personal choice in the provision of other goods and services (many, such as food, are at least as essential, if not more, than education), so why not with this one? If the government model of education is attractive enough, it should have nothing to fear from some competition.
Posted by shorbe, Wednesday, 11 April 2007 11:21:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy