The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The uses of confession > Comments

The uses of confession : Comments

By Jeff Sparrow, published 30/3/2007

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed’s hallucinogenic confession provides a justification not only for Guantanamo Bay but also for Dick Cheney’s claim that the War on Terror will last for generations.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
This article is even more pertinent in the light of David Hick's "guilty" plea. Members of the rabid right would have been strident critics of "confessions" at show trials under communist/fascist/other totalitarian regimes, but are quick to accept similar outcomes under the Bush administration. No doubt Hicks was guilty of something eg gross stupidity, but his guilty plea is as tainted as a confession obtained under torture
Posted by rossco, Friday, 30 March 2007 4:57:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Chris Shaw;- "i confess that I have had revolutionary thoughts that this time we are going to get the stinking Globalist criminals.

The revolutionaries throughout history while promising to save the masses from poverty usually ended up being just as bad as the greedy tyrants they got rid of. They usually set up an elistist dictatorial party of their fellow revolutionaries and lived in luxury while the people still lived in poverty, (for example communist parties)

They also murdered or incarcerated anyone who voiced any dissent and slaughtered masses of their own people (stalin being one example of this)
Posted by sharkfin, Saturday, 31 March 2007 1:28:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It was inconceivable (to many) that Osama was behind the world- trade-centre bombings, until we found his video tape laughing & bragging about it …

Its was inconceivable (to many) that the London bombers ( 1 & 2) could be guilty of such acts -until we found their videod last will & testimonies…

I confess it must be hard for some, cloistered as they are in middle class suburbia far from the front-lines -and brought up on pop morality - to conceive that some people could be so ruthless …

But I suggest anyone who has lived on the front-lines in Indonesia, Pakistan, Sthn Thailand, Iran ... & suffered at the hands of lunatics yelling ‘God is Great’ while slitting throats & exploding bombs,will not find it so unbelievable...
Posted by Horus, Saturday, 31 March 2007 7:07:39 AM
I CONFESS to being utterly amazed that with all this yapping going on by Chris that he is still alive, or that he has not been visited in the early morning by the Anti Terrorism police...

I CONFESS that I am utteRly amazed that Chris would see a bin ladin behind every rock and a Chaney under every green tree, yet he is still aloud to shoot his mouth off in a way that can only be described as fifth columnist bordering on treachery...

If things were as you schitzoids claim.. how come you are still able to speak freely about it ? AAah you say..its all PART of the grand conspiracy.. they give us all the trappings of freedom, but.. we are not free.. nope.. the truly free ones are those in Waziristan and Afghanistan, and London, and in Sydney and Melbourne Jails who (It is alledged) actually sought to blow the living hell out of us and our children... yep..they are the good guys (fighting Bush_and_Cheney of course).

I CONFESS that I am amazed by the observable fact that no matter HOW much evidence is provided by our free press, and free internet,it is still construed and seen by 'the clan' of Chris and company as some dark evil conpsiracy....

Ok.. the press is not so free... the evil capitalist lords run it.. not to mention 'those Jews' and of course all they do is based on those tried and tested 'protocals of zion'

The only thumping going on Chris is your loose brain rolling around that empty head :) and again.. I ask you... 'ALTERNATIVE' ? you don't have one, and any you have mentioned has not, does not and will not work, so.. all this woffle about 'us' being the bad guys is a waste of precious air.

Well, I'm very free, independant, happy, joyful. But even that is part of MY conspiracy :) "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, understanding, self control". Now.. I'll BET you can find an evil Cheney and a bin ladin connection even in our Lord.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 31 March 2007 9:37:06 AM
rossco, the prisons are full of people who have taken guilty pleas on lesser charges to do less time and get out of prison earlier. Hicks plea isn't "tainted as being under torture" unless all pleas of guilty made for lesser crimes to obtain earlier release dates are to be considered under duress or torture. Hicks was JUST stupid like Ivan Milat was JUST stupid, like Phuong Ngo was JUST stupid.
Posted by aqvarivs, Saturday, 31 March 2007 10:15:21 AM
Consider this scenario:
Khalid Sheikh Mohammed is imprisoned -he's been involved in a the planning, if not the execution of a host of attacks (but not all attacks) . There is evidence from JI operatives caught in Singapore, Malaysia & Thailand which heavily implicate him. And similar from al-qaeda operatives caught in Pakistan & Afghanistan.He knows there is little prospect of him getting a light sentence .

But he’s smart -he knows the west better than some westerners know themselves. So what can he do -he can still try discredit the whole process, make it appear that he is so demoralised , he will confess to anything & everything (i.e. he is a victim -the real criminals are Bush & co). He confesses to it all .

The anti-Bush brigades swallow it hook, line & sinker.
And some trendy Hollywood director (eventually) makes a movie about his plight ( a la “The Road to Guantanamo" ).
Posted by Horus, Saturday, 31 March 2007 11:28:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy