The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Hicks: guilty means guilty, sort of ... > Comments

Hicks: guilty means guilty, sort of ... : Comments

By Mirko Bagaric, published 28/3/2007

Speculation about David Hicks' actual guilt is pointless.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. All
Under the conditions that D.Hicks has faced, solitary confinement without charge for 5 years including abuse along the way, and the shoddy court system that would be certain to find him guilty, I'm not surprised he would plead guilty. I would to, because when you've been imprisoned for that long by force in a country that doesn't respect any international legal rights, your future is virtually guaranteed if you don't cooperate with the political environment and do whatever they say. In my mind this doesn't prove his guilt at all. It only proves that their system was successful in producing the desired outcome and threatening the unlawfully detained inmate with eternal imprisonment.
Posted by Steel, Wednesday, 28 March 2007 2:26:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay. It was not the American government that caused Hicks to be kept in prison for 5 years without a trial. It was Hicks' own defense team.

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2007/s1881663.htm
"The Hicks defence strategy relies on delaying the process for so long that the Australian Government will be forced to ask for the prisoner’s return."

They are hypocrites and sleazebags. THEY created the delay. And then try and pretend it was all the governments fault.

Anyone who defends Hicks or calls him a hero is essentially deranged. Hicks took up arms against his own country and freedom.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,8994711%255E7583,00.html
"In his letters to his family, Hicks tells them his training in Pakistan and Afghanistan is designed to ensure "the Western-Jewish domination is finished, so we live under Muslim law again"."
Posted by Grey, Wednesday, 28 March 2007 2:27:39 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@Grey
By your reasoning you could charge people who made death threats as murderers (that quote from the letter is as vague as they come as well)
Posted by Steel, Wednesday, 28 March 2007 2:42:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"It was not the American government that caused Hicks to be kept in prison for 5 years without a trial. It was Hicks' own defense team."

What rot Grey.

Hicks team proved that what they were saying about illegality of the kangaroo court by having it ruled illegal by the highest court in the land.

If you think that defense lawyers are causing the delays by challenging the system then next time you appear in a court as the defendant, probably not far away now, defend yourself.

It is what lawyers do, if they didn't they wouldn't be lawyers. This is the lamest arguement I've heard, I heard Downer say something simular, and he is supposed to be a bloody lawyer.

Answer me this, if a lawyer is not suppose to defend your rights and ensure you get a fair trial, what is the bloody point of having a lawyer?

Grow a brain and stop being so bloody minded.
Posted by Hawkeye, Wednesday, 28 March 2007 2:51:26 PM
Rather than spend any more time on an issue that has now been resolved - David Hicks has decided to plead guilty, how about we start worrying about the Australians that may be executed in Indonesia. Surely the pending execution of our fellow citizens deserves more attention now than endless debate over a guilty plea and whether David Hicks is gaunt, puffy, short-haired or long-haired.
Posted by matt@righthinker.com, Wednesday, 28 March 2007 3:22:02 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Irrespective of what it showed about the integrity of the United States (and it said heaps), the Hicks saga has shown Australians a thing or two about themselves.
1. The 'fair go' thing is weak and only of marginal influence in our society;
2. There isn't much we wouldn't do to convince Uncle Sam we'd go to bed with him;
3. We'd rather vent our spleen than insist on our justice system being respected and preserved intact;
4. We'll cop just about anything from our government ministers providing the general level of affluence is maintained;
5. Our capacity for outrage has been sublimated to the point where it's hard to find someone with strong feelings any more;
6. We don't mind being seen as prostitutes by the countries we really respect and admire;
7. Our capacity to rein in rogue ministers is all but shagged out. We are no longer capable of defining what makes our democracy a going concern. Our elections are just an empty form of role playing;
8. We've lost the sort of self-respect I grew up with as a quality that makes men of us. We're a bunch of sheilas now. The women have the testicles, we have the pregnant (beer) gut.
9. I could extend this list but I'm feeling nauseous already. Being an Australian these days is enough to make a bloke chunder.

I've insisted all along that the importance of the Hicks case, like France's Dreyfus case, is that it was a trigger to show how much intolerance and bile we have in our collective gut. Some of the hate shown in letters to the editor showed that if Nazism ever took hold here, we'd have massive trouble rooting it out.
Posted by Greg Hamilton, Wednesday, 28 March 2007 3:29:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11