The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Beyond the politics of Rudd and Abbott > Comments

Beyond the politics of Rudd and Abbott : Comments

By Stephen Chatelier, published 22/3/2007

Playing on the political field will result in the church aiming for the wrong goals.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
"I don't know why we trust religious people to run the country. I have no problem with people believing in their magical fairy stories, but those people would be my last choice for doing, you know, grown up things like making important decisions and so on.

I'd love to see an athiest prime minister one day. Imagine it...you breath deeper, the air tastes better, look outside...beautiful rays of sunlight pour through the autumn folliage, birds chirping..you lean back and smile...you even feel you bowels loosen up a bit...the world just got a little better, there's a rational person in power. Someone able to tell the difference between reality and fantasy...what a relief.."
QFT :D
Posted by Steel, Thursday, 22 March 2007 2:57:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yeah funny post by spendocrat...
Though somehow i doubt an atheist prime minister would have the "god-like" powers to be able to change the weather and give the air a nice "taste" and help you with your bowel problems. And anyway, if he did have these powers and he did know the difference between fantasy and reality, then i'm sure he would make it rain more in Autumn, not get sunnier, cause in case you haven't noticed we need a bit more water at the moment.
Posted by Donnie, Thursday, 22 March 2007 3:17:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Being the bicentennial weekend of the abolition of slave trade, it is interesting to note that William Lamb - Lord Melbourne (1779–1848), who later became a UK Prime Minister and very pro- slave trading reflected: ‘Things have come to a pretty pass when religion is allowed to invade public life.
Posted by Stanners, Thursday, 22 March 2007 9:29:05 PM
It works both ways, Stanners. It was the profoundly religious William Wilberforce whose religion invaded public life and became a powerful force in the anti-slavery movement. It is not religion in itself that is good or bad, but how religion is interpreted and applied in personal, societal and political spheres.
Posted by DANK, Friday, 23 March 2007 4:05:14 PM
Just imagine the outpouring if a Muslim leader or peace loving Taoist of Asian background sought to become the Prime Minister, which I might add, is entirely possible in our wonderful democracy??!!

Had Jesus walked this earth in contemporary Australia He would have been legally obligated to vote. I speculate for whom?? I suspect a 'donkey' vote might be applicable. However, to consider this hypothetical is to draft Stephen's thought provoking article in to the present. Politically, there are no such positions as 'religious right', 'pious left' or 'Christian centrist', political parties by sheer dint of the societal Diaspora, will contain an array of social, emotional and spiritual adherents, reflective of main stream society itself.
So, the party political mechanisms seek to embrace the broad range of groups within the electorate and the current flavour group is 'Christians'.
Posted by blueguy, Saturday, 24 March 2007 4:42:34 PM
The central problem with the cult of Christianity is that it is exclusionary and persecutory. At its core it regards immorality as moral and anti values as values, much of this based on a rehash of old hebrew mythology, fictional characters such as Jesus and idols and fetishes of superstition such as god, miracles and the power of occult magic such as prayer. The primacy of the church is to gain power over people, as an authority justified by a god that does not exist but a construct of deceit and often in historical and archeological terms pure lies. It also makes claims of wisdom it does not hold as theology is its wisdom and theology is myth focus so the church holds pure ignorance rather than wisdom at best. Power over others by the authority of god, god being a delusion of paranoid superstition.

The fact that Rudd and Abbot have let their personal superstition interfere with Australian politics is testamony they are not fit for the job.
Religion is bigotry and Australia is a democracy. Rudd and Abbott have betrayed the Australian people by representing their superstition rather than doing their job and representing the Australian people. Australia is desperate for good people to enter politics to put an end this sort of corruption and stop the rot to democracy. Australia has plunged into a crisis and is headed toward disaster because of the infiltration of the religious into our democracy. We need good people to change our laws to see to it that forces of anti-democracy that put the superstitious belief in a god before the nation are sacked to let real Australians get on with the job.
Posted by West, Monday, 26 March 2007 12:36:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy