The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Economic factors affecting the housing market > Comments

Economic factors affecting the housing market : Comments

By Saul Eslake, published 19/3/2007

Australian residential property prices have shown remarkable resilience despite the end of the boom.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All
Ludwig, you can't be more transparent than saying who you are and who you employer is when you are commenting on an area where you are paid to comment.

You seem to be suggesting that Saul is obliged to put everything he has ever thought on the table. No-one's obliged to do that.

I have sympathy with your position as a public servant, but it means that you are not transparent. We don't even know which department you work for so have no gauge to judge who reasonable their restrictions might be, or how that employment might colour your comments.
Posted by GrahamY, Monday, 11 June 2007 9:03:32 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
“Ludwig, you can't be more transparent than saying who you are and who you employer is when you are commenting on an area where you are paid to comment.”

Transparent maybe, but not convincing of a non-biased presentation of thoughts or arguments.

“You seem to be suggesting that Saul is obliged to put everything he has ever thought on the table.”

No. I don’t where this thought comes from.

As I said last time;

“How do we know that Saul is willing to be completely transparent? He certainly seems to be but….who knows?”

That doesn’t mean we expect him to share everything with us. In fact, I don’t see any connection.

“… it means that you are not transparent.”

Graham, I write under a pseudonym, specifically to divorce myself from any connection with my employer or from any pressure to say what they want to hear, or not say what they have balked at in the past.

I also let it be known in my last post just how much I hate not being able to speak freely under my own name and hence not being recognised for my views and environmental / sustainability / road safety efforts on this forum... all of which should be perfectly acceptable to my employer and be seen as a good positive quality in a passionate employee. In fact, you don’t know how strongly I detest this and think that it is fundamentally against the principles of democracy and freedom of speech.

So you can rest assured that I am totally transparent and not in any way held back by my employment, or the manager who suppressed my freedom of speech for four years, resulting a formal mediation session, at which it was shown that he was acting well outside of our Code of Conduct guidelines...but received no reprimand for his actions.
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 11 June 2007 10:17:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ludwig, it doesn't matter what your reasons are and whether or not they are good or bad, but you are not transparent. There is no argument on that point.

Of course Saul might be constrained by his employer's position. That's why his transparency is important - so you can take that into account.

But you can't say that about many who criticise him on this forum for allegedly having a dishonest agenda.
Posted by GrahamY, Tuesday, 12 June 2007 7:55:07 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Graham, you can insist that I am non-transparent if you must, despite my assertions to the contrary.

But I know I am totally transparent, honest, forthright and completely unconstrained by my employer or anything else. A small number of friends know this as well.

The irony is that if I was writing under my own name, many more people who know me would know this to be true, as was the case for many years during which I wrote copious letters to the editor of my local paper and other papers, and got commended left, right and centre for my efforts. But my employer / manager would be bound find something disagreeable in my 1400 posts on this forum and make trouble for me, despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of comments are fully in line with, or irrelevant to, my employer!

I have extremely strong feelings about this business. So I assert for the final time that I am totally transparent and will not in any way be subdued or biased in my expression by my employer………..apart from the disgusting antidemocratic pressure to write under a spewdonym in order to avoid conflict
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 12 June 2007 6:45:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
38% of the cost of a house/land is directly due to mostly State taxes and charges.There is also another factor of the slow release of land to keep prices high so State Govts can profiteer from first home buyers.

Throw into the mix OH&S ,home warranty insurance that has eliminated many builders from the market,and the cost of housing has skyrocketed in the last ten yrs.

We need rapid train transport systems like they have in Europe so we can decentralise our populations and still let them commute to our major cities for work.This coupled with computers will see the pressure taken off land in our major cities.

Too much bureaucracy in all our Govts has seen infrastructure deteriorate to it's lowest ebb in decades,let alone have visions of a futuristic transport systems that other countries now take for granted.
Posted by Arjay, Thursday, 14 June 2007 9:54:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy