The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The extraordinarily cruel rendition of Australia animals to the Middle East > Comments

The extraordinarily cruel rendition of Australia animals to the Middle East : Comments

By Mirko Bagaric and Lyn White, published 14/3/2007

Live meat exports: in the end, no matter how the numbers are crunched, some things are beyond economic justification.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. 17
  11. 18
  12. All
"Collusion amongst influential farm lobbying groups, regulators and governments "

Sheesh, all these conspiracy theories once again! Show me
an analysis of various samples of WA grown grain, to show
its full of the toxins you are concerned about.

Some anxious types do constantly jump to conspiracy
theory conclusions, it just seems part of their nature.
Fear of everything! Sounds like you are one of them.
Thats your problem. Most of us normal people are not
like that. Perhaps you just need a cup of tea and
a snooze :)
Posted by Yabby, Wednesday, 4 April 2007 2:06:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Only topic that should interest all was meant to be helping animals and farmers.
I raised the conflict of interest in MLA Farmers Federations- no Interest.
I raised the mineral, being exported and converted to water for ME feilds golf courses thinking wow surley farmers and animal lovers will want to know about this. No Interest.

I raised the invitation from the Minister and Prime Ministers office regarding co joint ventures No Interest.

I raised the submishion from AFIC into the animal welfare enquiry No Interest
I raised the fact that Salvation Army drought appeal for farmers claim they cant help farmers with water or feed because Peter Costellos office wont let them?[ I thought 'that might" get a few comments] No Interest.

It seems to me I am waisting my time on this thread
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Wednesday, 4 April 2007 11:35:15 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I havent been back to read this for a little while, and perhaps no-one else will either. Buit just in case, I do have a comment in regards to the use of 2,4D in the eastern states. Yes, spray drift is a problem. Who doesnt like it? Cotton farmers! Cotton turns up its leaves at the mere suggestion of 2,4D, and cotton is grown throughout NSW and southern QLD. I understand that amine is still going to be available, its just ester that will be banned. Its a very effective broadleaf killer (which is why cotton, which is easy to kill to start with, doesnt like it.

Dickie, chemical regulation is very tight. That said, there are still a number of rather nasty chemicals in use, although they are more nasty to the person using them. But if farmers want to run the risks associated with actually using the chemicals (risk of skin contact, inhalation etc), then I suggest that this is up to them. If you are worried about chemicals on your fruit and veg, then wash them - this is recommended whether you buy organic or not.
Posted by Country Gal, Wednesday, 11 April 2007 3:37:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Many thanks Country Gal for that revelationary advice where you recommend that I wash my fruit and vegetables. However, my interest in chemical use, is far more altruistic than you and Yabby Dabby Doo would want to believe.

It is interesting how, in this developed country, the use of 2,4-D is treated so casually when Denmark, Norway and Kuwait have banned this product from entering their countries. Other nations severely restrict its use.

That reminds me of the gung ho attitude in Australia to the previous use of DDT, chlordane, heptachlor, 2,4,5-T, PCB's etc etc where scientists failed to advise that most of these chemicals were carcinogens and already banned in other countries. However, the "tight" regulatory Australian authorities promoted the continued use of these toxins and the adverse environmental and human health impacts remain with us to this day.

It's a pity your risk assessment of 2,4-D failed to consider others who are also exposed to this chemical such as workers who prepare them for sale, farm animals, residents and other workers who live in close proximity.

Farmers were particularly ignorant where organchlorines were used with gusto for use in sheep dips and many farmers have already paid dearly for that ignorance.

Yet they continue to use the potentially lethal diazinon (an organophosphate), despite many years of international expert warnings over its adverse human health impacts.

I fear there remains little hope for any improvement in the treatment of the hapless, pained animals in the care of these hill-billies.
Posted by dickie, Wednesday, 11 April 2007 8:10:25 PM
Perhaps if somebody started a thread on farming methods it would be a good idea.
We certainly need input from Aussie farmers
The bottom line is we must all be prepaired to learn from each other.

This thread was put up about live exports but anything learned is connected of coursel.

I found out we do have a plant in melbourne to convert the minerals I mentioned for water use.

Might be worth some of the farmers hearing about this method and giving their thoughts about it.

At the moment most is going to the ME as I said before.

I do wish Animals Australia and anybody else serious about fazing out live exports would look at this proposal put forward.

After all if the Ministers and JH can find time why not them.?
Its so dissapointing to work hard to find alternatives for these other organisations to just thumb their noses at it.

Everytime we put up these alternatives and offers for help people head for the hills.
If you care about live exports then at least debate it for the animals sake.
If we say one word that this attitude is not good enough and not helping animals you rush to lawyers Animals Australia.
Then why not debate this knowing we are working to the same end as you - to help animals.
Bagging farmers is just what you dont do - with respect.
it only breaks down any posibilty to work together with them.
Just How? Do you think thats! ever going to help animals.

Please help us to establish free range pork farms for example- Then you can really tell people ftto only buy free range pork. At the moment there is little.
Look forward to seeing a farmers advise thread.
goodnight All
PS Katrina- Say Something-= Anything. You too lyn Nicky everybody.
For the Animals!
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Thursday, 12 April 2007 12:15:37 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kuwait Dickie?

ROFL. Sheesh, you must be desparate, to quote Kuwait as a reason
for Australia to change its policies.

Perhaps we should emulate Kuwait when it comes to womens rights :)

One thing about our Dickie. She keeps commenting about issues
which she clearly knows very little about. At least she is
consistant :)

Dickie, I suggest that you get off your butt and go and spend
some time on a real life farm out there and learn something about
farming. Armchair critics, who don't have the foggiest, are a dime
a dozen. We simply ignore them and excuse their ignorance.
Posted by Yabby, Thursday, 12 April 2007 3:21:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. 17
  11. 18
  12. All