The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Howard in trouble? Bennelong time coming > Comments

Howard in trouble? Bennelong time coming : Comments

By Wayne Errington and Peter Van Onselen, published 1/3/2007

Once the storm dies down and the numbers are crunched in Bennelong, Maxine McKew is unlikely to win the seat.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
This is nothing more than a beat-up. Play the man - avoid any debate on policies.

Most voters ouside of WA don't care about ex-Premiers from that state so portraying Burke as some sort of anti-Christ will only go so far.

It's not like he was a financially dodgey but influential President of the Liberal Party who managed to avoid prison (like John Elliot) for example.

In the end, people will believe what they want to believe.

Maybe it's time all the gloves came off and we exposed the true state of politics in this country in ALL parties.
Posted by wobbles, Sunday, 4 March 2007 8:55:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Keith, your questions are hard for all of us and I will get back to you... if I can, as it is what Australians are trying to deal with generally. However, I say a couple of things....

a) Bagging others (as a way of communication in life) and the idea of "Mateship" in Australia is a cultural problem, as we have not changed with the times and the original meaning of the term which had integrity for the ANZACs is out of kilter at all levels of community, be in inside the Parliment of at local sector levels. We have lost our ablity to PROBLEM SOLVE. We do not listen or respect the growth of new ideas or anyone who trys to think out loud. We are watching and allowing our countries potential innovation and human - social capital drain away, instead.

ie: Western Australia did an investigation (to end all investigations) into Bullying recently... The investigating panel then stopped - saying, something like the issue was too hard to deal with... (heated?), it appears costs got out of control... but it revealed that Western Australia is loosing its BEST - GOOD Teachers ... because of the SILO MENTALITY of BULLIES. Where does this leave us eh? Additionally, note Australias cuts in research areas and education?

b) I think it is JOKE that it is the HUMAN SERVICES minister that Howard feels should be LOST. The CHOP (unprovoked?) speaks for itself and reminds of the HUMAN value that is being sacified by this government as a whole. Learning anything is not on the AGENDA this way, is it?

c) I don't believe some of us know how to protect ourselves against villification and bullies. I know I don't... I don't want to think like an enemy... I work for the common good regardless and I make the same mistakes as others do even though I try to be fair with people who make the adverse statements, no matter how asperse they may be.

Discovery is lost in conflict driven campaigns!
Posted by miacat, Monday, 5 March 2007 1:30:18 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
miacat

I'd welcome a discussion on my idea. It could be very constructive. Self-examination and critical self examination usually is very difficult but often if successfully can see immense changes.
Mateship formed on our Goldfields long before ANZAC and was re-inforced in our National Identity by our poets and writers of the late 1800's and early 1900's. Literature of the time was full of it.
However mateship since has often been bastardised in our community at many levels. Our pollies who rely on it's existance are fooling only themselves.
I see potential denied nearly every day in all sorts of fields. I remain optimistic those who haven't been too spoiled by both our public and private education regimes will overcome the hurdles they will encounter later in their chosen carreers.

Geez we have a lot of similar ideas. I think only our inability to see through each others eyes might be our only problem.
Posted by keith, Monday, 5 March 2007 12:29:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Perhaps McKew won't win but your article was not a reasoned one, really, was it? You have not cited reasons other than you think it unlikely and history is against it. Hardly reasons. There seem a number of reasons why she might win, but regardless of this, it must be obvious to even the family cat that watches tv and listens to the radio that Howard is rattled in a way the country has never seen before. Why? And if McKew doesn't win? It will be the experience she needs, if experience is needed, to run a better campaign next election. But I wouldn't be so ready to write her off just yet. After all, stranger things have happened. Next time, balance your arguments better.
arcticdog
Posted by arcticdog, Monday, 5 March 2007 1:03:37 PM
keith, note taken. While the Labor Party sanctifies, diefies Rock Stars, Telivision Stars,academics, union bullies,Uni drop outs,in fact any and every one but the working man, they are going to continue picking duds.
The roots of the Labor Party were the workers, the ordinary bloke who wanted a better deal for his efforts.
All the above divas are interested only in their own egos, there is no room for anything else.
That is why the people have left them.
Posted by mickijo, Monday, 5 March 2007 1:38:38 PM
Mickijo

I agree with your assessment. I think you could take a little further step and draw the Media in this country into sharing responsibility for that trend too.
Posted by keith, Monday, 5 March 2007 4:46:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy