The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Cooking the greenhouse books > Comments

Cooking the greenhouse books : Comments

By Andrew Macintosh, published 2/3/2007

Doubts linger over Australia’s claims about its superior greenhouse performance.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
See Dickie? It's all about bloody CARDBOARD! Who'd have guessed?
Posted by bennie, Saturday, 3 March 2007 3:54:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Perseus, your advice on IPCC's error of judgement, fails to alter my perceptions that our very own anthropogenic emissions of CO2 are out of control.

Nor does your advice display any evidence of "self-interest" in the other groups you describe as "luddite scum."

Cooking the greenhouse books is flourishing in Australia - I have volumes of documented official reports which gives substance to that perception.

My claims over several years, have been vindicated by the recent WA CCC investigations into corruption allegations within the environmental bureaucracies and governments, a result of the powerful influence of industry lobbyists.

How can one lobby on pending, environmental assessments? It's a science isn't it? Blind Fred can see that many of these assessments, handed down by the EPA, will impact adversely on the environment or community health and scientificlly based community appeals are not upheld in the interest of industry profits.

The following officials, who are/were responsible for the health of our environment are currently under investigation, are about to resign, have resigned or have been demoted to the back bench for their associations (often covert) with industry lobbyists - one a former gaol bird:

Head of EPA (WA)
Heads of WA Department of Environment and Conservation (2)
Environment Minister (WA)
Former Environment Minister (Federal)

Those who are at risk of dismissal will take some comfort that many heads of department (environment) are poached by pollutant industries (such as Alcoa) where I am sure these past bureaucrats can make an "invaluable" contribution to the ongoing economic success of these operations.

When you have commercial and industrial development consultants, lawyers and candlestick makers controlling the environment portfolios taking advice from senior bureaucrats who are in bed with pollutant industries, then the state of the environment will remain hazardous and the books will continue cooking.
Posted by dickie, Sunday, 4 March 2007 6:58:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well Dickie, what about the scientists who ran the scare story about the collapse of the atlantic conveyor/gulf stream and subsequent mini-ice age in europe and North America. It was never on because Grenland would have needed to melt, entirely in about 10 years for the claimed drop in ocean salinity to take place.

But at current melt rates (129km3/year) it will take 19,000 years for the 2.5 million km3 Greenhouse ice sheet to melt. It was a scenario that was never on, with a probability in the order of ten million to one. But the scientific team managed to score funding for the next two decades to study deep ocean circulation. They are set for life on the basis of a complete BS scenario.
Posted by Perseus, Sunday, 4 March 2007 1:02:56 PM
Perseus

Those dreadful "luddite scum", in the 70's were warning against the prolific use of DDTs, PCBs, dioxins, heptachlor, chlordane etc etc. These "luddites" were then described as nutters and nuisances by industry who continued to deny that these chemicals were carcinogenic. They are now banned for that reason - many years after America's ban. Unfortunately, their environmental and human health impacts continue.

Currently departments of environment in Australia have the audacity to assure the masses that dioxins are very low in industrial stack emissions. They fail to advise that very very few industries are required to test for them, so how can they make an accurate assessment?

The only company that did test for them in my heavily industrialised region (and only on an annual basis) revealed readings of 0.9ng/m3. The international maximum level (recommended by the Stockholm Convention and the UN) is 0.1ng/m3. Strangely, after I raised the issue the company failed to test for dioxins again.

Emissions reports, obtained by Freedom of Information (2000) and the Workers Enquiry Report revealed that the sinter plants at Port Kembla and Newcastle are "by far the greatest industrial sources of atmospheric dioxin pollution in NSW." The company report was performed under US EPA limits as no Australian standards existed.

I am advised by state departmental heads that they don't set down any limits and "it's catch up time" and yet the federal Dept. of Environment advise of the requirement to follow the S/H and UN recommendations though enforcement is non-existent and the deception is unbelievable.

When you have emissions of dioxins (a result of poor combustion) you will incur large releases of carbon based chemicals (such as massive amounts of CO) - all converting to CO2.

Media reports are very useful and informative, however, I suggest Perseus, you start at the coal face (sorry) if you truly want to learn how the environment in Australia is being mis-managed and you along with the masses are being duped. But the cover-ups will probably keep you and your denialist buddies happy with the promise of continuing economic and industry growth.
Posted by dickie, Sunday, 4 March 2007 3:07:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy