The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Apportioning the blame > Comments

Apportioning the blame : Comments

By Brett Bowden, published 14/2/2007

For all the concerns over Barack Obama’s lack of foreign policy experience, it seems he has the edge over John Howard when it comes to the realities of Iraq.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Enjoying the protection of the ALP redoubt, the ALP has spent the last 6 – 7 years firing shots at USA politics all the while receiving encouragement from certain sections. Terms like ‘the worst US president in history' were applauded. However, Johnboy has a shot at USA politics and we're somehow in dangerous territory.

Brett, ours is a democracy of sorts where freedom to say what you think is sacrosanct. The exception to this rule would appear to be the university campus; just ask professor Fraser.
Posted by Sage, Wednesday, 14 February 2007 11:17:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I must confess... before this gaffe I didn't have much hope that Rudd could actually defeat Howard. Narrow the gap, yes, but defeat? no.

But now, I'm tempted to actually believe. It's been almost universally damned as a stupid move. Usually there's at least a few sensible voices who will back Howard.

Funny that Bush has kept away from the debacle. Not even a public word of appreciation.

Most interesting. I'm starting to actually believe Rudd's in with a shot.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Wednesday, 14 February 2007 11:37:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Also...

Howard has left the way open for Rudd to hammer him even further.

In the Australian today, Howard is challenging Rudd to outline the chaos that withdrawal in line with Obama's plan would create.

Problem is, Obama's plan was much more nuanced, and was contingent upon developments in Iraq. In other words, while it was advocating troop withdrawal, it was far from the 'no strings attached' troop withdrawal Howard is making it out to be. Obama is basically in line with the eminently sensible findings of the Baker report.

So Rudd is now wide open to further damn the PM by saying that the PM in his stupidity, misinterpreted Obama's plan, and created a dangerous rift (of course, it's only a passing thing, but Rudd doesn't have to say that).

I'll be interested to see whether Rudd runs with the misinterpretation line, because it's a strong angle and will go a long way to shattering Howard's supremacy on foreign policy. In responding to Howard's challenge, he can point out how calm and collected his ideas are. (What is more important, would be the unspoken part about how is ideas aren't likely to ruffle feathers on Republican or Democrat radars).
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Wednesday, 14 February 2007 11:42:57 AM
Sage

Latham's precise words were "the most incompetent and dangerous President in living memory". But what is important was that he made these comments when he was a backbencher in opposition.

Howard's attack on Senator Obama was said as The Right Honourable Prime Minister of the Commonwealth of Australia, a big difference in my mind. (Although I will admit I think Latham's words will prove to be correct).

Rudd calling for a TV debate was a stunt, but his effort to debate it in parliament this morning has shut off any criticism Howard has about him not wanting to debate the issue.

If Howard can't lift his game in Question Time today, the rumblings about his leadership will continue to grow
Posted by Steve Madden, Wednesday, 14 February 2007 11:46:47 AM
The polls tell the story.

Rudd is leading Mr Howard as preferred prime minister by 48 per cent to 43 per cent.

Its clear that King Rat rat has run out of rat juice and will soon be canabalised by his own in their mad panic.

Oppositions do not win government, incumbents lose it.

Rudd only needs to remain politically benign. King Rat will do the rest.
Posted by Rainier, Wednesday, 14 February 2007 12:29:03 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Obama VS Osama..

Coming soon to a war near you.

Obama plans to cut and run in Iraq, which will place his country in future jeapordy. Its good to see they dont like a war of attrition if you are a smaller enemy.

Obama, good luck. It cant be so cut and dry as much as we wish it could be.
Posted by Realist, Wednesday, 14 February 2007 2:38:32 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy