The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Newsworthy rape > Comments

Newsworthy rape : Comments

By Helen Pringle, published 8/2/2007

As Geoff Clark recently noted, the Australian media shows little interest in 'typical' cases of sexual assault.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
RObert your bias in favour your own viewpoint is just unbelievable. You can't see it but others can. Why don’t you and especially Aqvaris make a big song and dance about those who have been violently raped and why so silent when their genuine complaint of sexual assault or aggravated sexual assault is dismissed as false? Moreover, what of those women who proceed to court and the lawyers get an acquittal even though the woman has been violently sexually assaulted? Hasn’t her reputation been degraded?

And then there are those who rightly claim rape but then retract when they realise the almost impossible odds of getting a conviction. Not to mention the unwanted publicity of having the newspaper naming a person as a rape victim. Then there are the police who resist proceeding unless the evidence is pretty well beyond doubt. Don’t you think a person ruthless enough to rape a person wouldn’t hesitate to lie or get a witness to support his lies? Aqvaris seems to think that police proceed on mere accusations. Just ask any John Law (policeman) how hard it is to convince a brief manager to proceed.

Romany may regard you, RObert, as objective, however I see that you are letting something get in the way of your objectivity. Keep in mind here that it is my belief that no one (myself included) can be totally objective.

RObert I notice that you were quick to rationalise around to your own schema Romany’s apparent “gender expectations” for mistaking me for a female. You say that calling me a girl is just a wind up. Why? - because only real men agree with your ideas on such gender issues? I think the posters who, for instance, reckoned I was female have betrayed their “gender expectations”.

continued
Posted by ronnie peters, Wednesday, 14 February 2007 5:41:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
continued

Both you and Aqvaris were wrong, I think, to push your own barrow on this thread. Why do you guys, seeing as you want equality and objective reporting, only seek after stuff that damages the reputation of women? There is plenty of information on women's sites that show the appalling rape figures and lack of justice for women victims.

Also when I skimmed through i notice you folk typed in "rape". You would have come across some pretty horrendous sites then. Tell me why these sites are allowed if society supposedly give a toss about women's safety - because the biggest men's group is the Government.

RObert thanks for making the other post. But what a naf comparison? Shows what women and victims are up against.
Posted by ronnie peters, Wednesday, 14 February 2007 5:42:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ronnies peter

People as yourself who advocate special laws and special understanding with in the law in order to perpetuate your own feminist bent do more social damage. Those who champion real equality across the board for both sexes are the last hope of stopping the sexist woman empowerment of female victim/man evil pendulum from it's most certain backlash. How you can find the gall to consistently attack men of good will in favour of an ideology that is in it's execution manufacturing if not producing to some extent, but surely a contributing factor of the number of cases of rape/sexual assault.
How people like you can be so intellectually ignorant and socially blinded by your need to maintain the sustained and bitter railings and condemnation of men in general to not realize that your "get back mentality" and one-sided sense of social justice leads to further cases of rape/sexual assault, not fewer.
The changes in the law championed by feminist are designed to place men in a position less than equal and in many cases in the context of Family Law, second class citizens.
Now. In some areas wiser minds are coming to the fore and improvements and changes for the better are being made, but that is no thanks to people who think and advocate a one sided approach as yourself who continue to manufacture victims to your alter of feminine social sexual dominance. No truth built upon a lie will ever stand. It matters not if there are 50,000 rape/sexual assault cases a year or 12. If more than 50% are false it's a fair question to ask where the BS stops and the truth begins. I find it very telling that you don't want the light of truth shining on this subject but, would rather use it to further bludgeon men in general and have laws pass that would jail a man with out evidence or a courts hearing.
Posted by aqvarivs, Wednesday, 14 February 2007 6:58:04 PM
Aqvarivs said:

“ I find it very telling that you don't want the light of truth shining on this subject but, would rather use it to further bludgeon men in general and have laws pass that would jail a man with out evidence or a courts hearing.”

I haven’t “bludgeon[ed] men in general”. I challenged certain posters who beatup their own interests to deflect attention from other people’s articles and people who think that most rape is just women making up stories. You spend a lot of time trying to discredit feminists and turn back the gains that they have worked hard for. I find that appalling.

I pointed out to Aqvarivs that your figures must be wrong because in Australia the legal system is such that it is nigh impossible to even get a case into court let alone, according to your misunderstanding, merely make an accusation and then Constable Care wanders over and locks up the accused – what rubbish. I said, for instance: “Rape cases often don't proceed to court because of the difficulty of proving beyond doubt the offence. The evidence has to be overwhelming to get a conviction or even to proceed with criminal charges.”

What I have said here in relation to police requiring very solid evidence to charge an offender Aqvarivs somehow translated into me wanting to “pass laws that would jail a man with out evidence or a courts hearing” . This was false and misleading.

Also Aqvarivs the police have a media unit which usually send out media releases.

The author told us of a very terrible rape. It was to show the extreme hatred and malice this male had towards women. Now, even though this rape could have been taken up as symbolic of male hatred towards women she was at pains to point out that men like that are not representative of all men. Your response is to get straight into negative politicking and accuse women of making false accusations and suggesting that it’s some sort of a free for all apparently because you think police rubber stamp complaints
Posted by ronnie peters, Friday, 16 February 2007 12:55:31 PM
ronnie peters,
First, I would like to thank you for taking the time and for showing some common respect this post to get my on-line-name correct.
Secondly, you're somewhat misinformed. In the absents of physical evidence all a woman has to do is be in the court room at the time of trial. The Judge knows she's there and her side gets a point. She doesn't even have to be called to give evidence. The Crown will read her statement into evidence. The weight of her testimony/evidence and any countering testimony/evidence from the accused determine the outcome of that particular trial. Each and every trial is judged on it's own merits.
Rape/sexual assault is not something, at least forensically, that can be hidden. There is something called a vaginal clock. Doctor's can tell the difference between consensual sex and forced sex.
The courts system is highly challenged by the number of accusations of rape coming from women who wish to punish their lovers, boyfriends, husbands for some other "injustice".
The number of women getting raped for a walk in the park is very rare by statistical evidence. The greatest number of rape/sexual assault accusations come out of ongoing sexual relationships. Apportioning justice in a she said he said event, is no simple matter for any Judge, male or female.
And from what I have seen, if you are a female and using sexual assault to punish your lover for some misdeed, your best under a male Judge. The female Judges strike back with less sympathy for the sex.
One woman raped is one woman too many. One man falsely accused is one man too many. I questioned the authors use of "stats" as a way to highlight the case and to broaden the issue. I questioned her assertion of any interest in the equality of justice and the rule of law.
If you really want to ask a copper something. Ask how much time they spend running down blind alley's trying to help a liar, some one trying to manipulate the system.
Posted by aqvarivs, Friday, 16 February 2007 6:43:34 PM
Aqvaris,
“Doctor's can tell the difference between consensual sex and forced sex”

While not disputing your main argument.
I would really like to see the above challenged by a quality lawyer.

Even consensual sex of a prolonged or vigorous nature can leave the woman sore/injured
Posted by Horus, Sunday, 18 February 2007 6:03:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy