The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Muslim academics must speak up > Comments

Muslim academics must speak up : Comments

By Abe Ata, published 2/2/2007

Muslims lack one very important virtue - that of self-criticism.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 29
  10. 30
  11. 31
  12. All
Good article Abe, and F.H. I note your comments with interest.
I'd value your feedback on the following issue though.

1/ http://www.masud.co.uk/ISLAM/misc/alshifa/pt4ch1sec1.htm
check out that UK web site and then see this vid.

EVERYbody please read with detailed scrutiny, the page on that web site and then move to the next page and read it with equal diligence.

2/ VIDEO (Cartoon protest)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?search=&mode=related&v=I0yoR8R4T1w

Now..F.H. do you not see some causes for worry and concern that such groups might heap a huge guilt trip on moderates and tell them such things as "This is the consensus of the Muslims, from the time of the companions until now" ...

What are moderates going to say to counter this ?

Hope you had a good holiday time :)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 3 February 2007 9:37:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If this continuous instigation of violence and hateful rhetoric was being expressed by "Christians", would "Christians" be suggesting that the academics speak out? Or would what usually happens with "Christian Cult" nonsense. The everyday "Christian" stands up and says, "You are not behaving as a Christian". "Do not call yourself Christian". "You are not one of us." "Begone Satan."(I put that one in for Boaz David :-))
The point is they would be shouted down and the Christian leadership would put an end to it. And the police would be all over them like the David Koresh business.

The main difficulty with Islam is they have no central leadership. They have "Councils" but, these councils are more about extortion and maintaining Islamic authority than being true leaders of Islam. Islam needs a central Mosque from where all Islamic theology can develop from. Too many of the Mad Hatter types popping up with a colourful name and really not putting much else into the reasoning for more of the ol' jihad. It's enough to simply say your Anti-American and your "top forty with a bullet".

Why would the academics have any more courage than the everyday Muslim? Or be able to intelligently argue the Koranic versus these nutters choose to exploit in the name of violence?
Posted by aqvarivs, Saturday, 3 February 2007 10:30:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rather than simply presume that the apparently chauvinistic passages of the Koran are necessarily advocating violence against non-Muslims, Muslim academics should explain how those passages are interpreted in Modern Islam. After all we do not expect the Christians or the Jews to treat ‘non-believers’ the way Joshua did, ie destroy every man, woman, child, animal and blade of grass in the non-believers domain, (even though neither the Christians nor the Jews have never renounced The Book of Joshua).
Posted by Rob513264, Saturday, 3 February 2007 12:20:37 PM
Side issue: Abe Ata mentioned that a muslim cleric had insulted women by depicting them as 'pieces of uncovered meat' however in the same analogy he depicted men as 'stray cats unable to control their sexual urges' and no-one (except me) has complained about how no-one has found this offensive. The sexual discrimination against men inherent in the lack of recognition of insults against men is ironic is it not?
Posted by Rob513264, Saturday, 3 February 2007 12:34:41 PM
Abe Ata has done a remarkable thing, opened up his true thoughts to discussion.
SBS Television has a one hour of American news each week. There various experts and columnists get into very frank debate about the latest news in their country. They actually seem to dissect every drop of what is happening .It all appears frank and open.
Maybe it is too much to ask of most countries,but a blanket ban on all discussion drives that discussion underground and encourages theories that could be wrong.
All Australians have a right to know what is being done in their name and in their country. By all who call themselves 'Australian'.
Posted by mickijo, Saturday, 3 February 2007 1:49:46 PM
ROB51etc...

I'm most focused on your point about 'How Modern muslims interpret' the Quran etc..

Mate.. I wish I could spend an hour or 2 with you on this. You have not quite 'got' Islam as a faith yet. You are approaching it from a relativistic western viewpoint. Trust me, it is not like that, not even a little bit. You might find some examples of moderation in some Islamic circles but this would be contrary to the Sharia which is the ultimate Authority for Islam. The Sharia is based on what is called 'The consensus of the Muslims'..and the web site I linked to, says (regarding killing those who insult or denigrate the Prophet) "And this has been the consensus from the companions until now".
There are 2 technical terms there. 'consensus' and 'companions'.
The hamas charter is also based on the same thinking as this.
PLEASE read that web site and realize that that is NOW.. the people pouring into the streets with signs KILL THEM.. are 'now' mate...

http://www.masud.co.uk/ISLAM/misc/alshifa/pt4ch1sec1.htm

Scratch below the surface..and you will see it.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 3 February 2007 2:28:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 29
  10. 30
  11. 31
  12. All