The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia Day - kiss the flag > Comments

Australia Day - kiss the flag : Comments

By Clifton Evers, published 25/1/2007

Politicians have failed to listen to Australian youth’s concerns about a deeper set of social, political, and cultural problems that are besetting them.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. All
Spider wrote about the flag : "And if the immigrants find it offensive - move out!"

Totally agree 100%, my sentiments exactly, tommorrow I'll be waving my Australian flag, its got three colours, red, black, with a big yellow sun - And if the immigrants find it offensive - move out.
Posted by Rainier, Thursday, 25 January 2007 11:15:34 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nice article Dr Evers, but the naive hope for more listening by those on high is a little ripe. When has Anglo power ever paid any attention to views of ethnic minorities? What chance of positive change in the white have-not ghettos when their loyalty to sport and beer is rewarded with AWA's and McJobs, if they're lucky. Maybe a bit of listening could be in order here..

77% - by The Herd (aussie hip hop)

"Well I'm left sitting here staring into a beer
shaking my head at the same ol' loathing and fear
Stranger in my own land, can't understand
How the very word Australian has been damned
I f**king hate myself, take 'Aussie' from my name
Erase this endless shame, forever casting blame
If you don't act the same will I destroy you?
Everyone looks the same beaten, black and blue
So I've had enough of these redneck pr**ks
When fact is the only real s**t that sticks
Watch as I tear the very skin from my face
So none'll see my race, my deep disgrace

You're not even from here in the first place
And those that are you wanna further debase
Nup, no more, never again whether by fist or pen
I will defend, cos I'm at a loose end
The shattered remnants of Aussie dignity
I'm a skip, whitey, round-eye suprise me
By using your shrivelled brain to please explain
How the clever country just went down the drain
We rode the sheep's back now the sheep ride you
If this is how its gonna be don't call me 'true blue'
I denounce my ancestors, wounds still fester
If you say 'it aint so' I suggest ya' wake up

....Captain Cook was the very first queue jumper
It was immigrant labour that made Australia plumper
Enough is enough, whiteys go pack your stuff
Don't wanna live in England? That's f**king tough
I'm sick and tired of this redneck wonderland
Most've you stay silent and I can't understand..."
ta http://www.lyricsandsongs.com/song/206262.html
Posted by Liam, Friday, 26 January 2007 12:29:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Can someone tell me where this will all end up? Race riots burning of the flag and now we cant show our flag? I am an Aussie and I am proud of being an Aussie. You go to any country in the world and when they find out your from Australia they just think its great. So whats happening in our country? Its AUSTRALIA DAY! Go out and be proud to be Australian. Its the one day we can all get together and say WE ARE AUSTRALIAN. I have my flag flying and no one will dare tell me to take it down. Its about time people adopt our way of life. What happened to our laid back aussie nature? Has it gone out the window? What will they tell us next NO ANZAC DAY? Yea right. They have already told kids at school christmas cant be celebrated like it use to be. Well I am over it lets get on with it and keep our traditions alive! We are Australians and we are proud and if you come and live here you adopt our culture its not the other way round. These muslim clerics with all their comments - bottom line you dont like it here- use the door on the way out.We all know they wont because we have it so good here in Australia. Half those kids fighting at Cronulla where born here. STAND UP AUSTRALIANS and be proud but lets do it without all the violence and crap thats going with it at the present. Wear your flag, fly your flag with pride because at the end of the day its OUR Flag and lets all be proud.
Posted by robster, Friday, 26 January 2007 8:15:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Oh, how nice of the author to paint those who love their national flag as thugs. This is nothing short of an insult from a person who probably sits around the table at a cafe, drinking imported chardonnay while having a Fabian chinwag."

I think this is misinterpreting the article - I certainly don't find the flag offensive, and to be honest, I don't think there are many people out there who do.

What I DO find offensive, would be being told by some thug to swear allegiance to it NOW!

I love Australia. The reason why I love it, is because I'm free to express myself how I want.
That is, expressing it my own way without some fascist thuggish redneck fool trying to tell me how to be Australian.

I suspect the issue here is not about the flag, rather, people hijacking it and using it to further their own beer-fuelled bigotry.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Friday, 26 January 2007 10:39:45 AM
TRTL: "I suspect the issue here is not about the flag, rather, people hijacking it and using it to further their own beer-fuelled bigotry. "

Absolutely. I couldn't agree more.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 26 January 2007 10:44:31 AM
"Totally agree 100%, my sentiments exactly, tommorrow I'll be waving my Australian flag, its got three colours, red, black, with a big yellow sun - And if the immigrants find it offensive - move out."

LOL this reminds me of the political cartoon after the Cronulla riots. There were a group of Aboriginals on the beach saying "this is our beach, go home." Loved it.
Posted by YngNLuvnIt, Friday, 26 January 2007 12:05:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11