The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Terrorism Tehran-style > Comments

Terrorism Tehran-style : Comments

By Ted Lapkin, published 31/1/2007

Argentinian police believe TNT used to bomb a Jewish community centre was smuggled into Buenos Aires through the Iranian embassy's diplomatic pouch.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Hmm... I usually tend to be one of those 'first cab off the ranks' to denounce Lapkin's pieces as far too one sided.
In most cases where he's extolling the virtues of the IDF while damning the palestians, he appears blind to the other side of the debate.

In this article however, I think he's being pretty reasonable. Granted, there is still the court findings to consider, though I don't think it's that far fetched to believe senior Iranians could have been behind this bombing.

Okay, yes, the US has much to answer for. I'm in total agreement.
But that isn't to say we can excuse atrocities committed by Iran, even if much of the middle east has been devastated by American policy.
You can only take apologism so far... I guess in my view, I step off that train somewhere before this point.

This article is about the possibility senior Iranians were responsible for the deaths of Argentinian civilians. If that is what has occurred, then I don't see how damning the US is relevant in this instance.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Wednesday, 31 January 2007 11:32:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Even though Iran supports Hizbollah, the Iranian regime and Hizbollah should be dealt with separately by Western powers for the sake of preventing a conflict that would turn Iran into another Iraq or worse.

As loathesome as the Iranian regime is to the West and even the Iranian people, every effort to prevent the bloodshed besetting Iraq and Afghanistan spilling into Iran and becoming a regional phenomenon should be pursued. If the hostile and provocative rhetoric of Iran's leadership turns bloody, it should not be the result of another preemtive folly by Western powers. Let Iran be held accountable, but not for supporting Hizbolloh or threatening Israel or the West. It must be evident to the world and agreed by the UN Security Council that Iran has fired the first shot before any military action occurs.
Posted by Crusader, Wednesday, 31 January 2007 12:05:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"By deception, thou shalt do war."

Possums may be comforted by this interview with accomplished doco maker, Aaron Russo. Don't be put off by the title, pay close attention to the content:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1263677258215075609&hl=en-AU

Enjoy!
Posted by Chris Shaw, Carisbrook 3464, Wednesday, 31 January 2007 2:07:41 PM
Amidini-Kong: The Eighth Wonder of the World.

Hark! What's that sound?

It's the jungle tom-toms throbbing the war pulse, calling for the destruction of Iran. Nowhere do they beat so loudly as on Skull Island, where one warlike tribe jealously guards it's mythology.

In the crepuscular light of the funeral pyres, the cluster-bomb-kills yield up their flaming oils with unearthly glow and fatty putrescence. Behind an ancient barricade erected by a forgotten civilisation, something hairy and menacing stirs. The flickering torches reveal Amidini-Kong - all 5'4" of him (but made-up to appear 50' tall by subcontractors, Mainstream Media Co).

Along the parapet, a Tribe nervously exchanges words of encouragement. "Nice headdress Dersho!" "Great nose-bone Olmo!" "Cool warpaint Netto!" "Teddo - yep - you look fine just as you are."

An exploratory party from the USS Clumsyfoot bursts into the clearing, having navigated a course to Skull Island with charts found in an old Energy Task Force sea chest. Teamleader Cheno, illusionist extraordinary, accompanied by his pet chimp Georgie Boy, heads up a team to heist the mighty Amidini-Kong, and restrain the behemoth with nuclear shackles if necessary.

Next week -

Will US dollars, treasury bonds and IOUs be sufficient to stuff a mattress for Kong on his long voyage to the Land Of The Free?

Will Kong escape and topple the Sears Tower? Did Silvo remember to renegotiate the insurance policy in time?

Don't miss the next nuclear powered episode! It'll be a buster - bunker that is.
Posted by Chris Shaw, Carisbrook 3464, Wednesday, 31 January 2007 9:50:21 PM
Ted, TNT or ammonium nitrate?

Most articles on the AMIA bombing say it was an ammonium nitrate bomb (in fact I can't find a single one that says TNT). Likewise I am struggling to find any info suggesting the explosives came in via diplomatic bag. Can anyone find a link to Alberto Nisman's allegations? All I can find are press summaries such as http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6134066.stm Given the incompetence of the Argentinian police investigations, I suspect there is little chance of anything being proved in court. Thus the indictment of Rafsanjani et al looks supiciously like grandstanding.

Which brings us to the central question, ie is Hezbollah a terrorist organisation? The answer is obviously yes, but that doesn't get us very far. If Israel can't defeat Hezbollah (as they tried and failed to do in Lebanon) then peace depends on negotiating with them. Either that, or a wall and an ongoing low-level war.

Peace was achieved in Northern Ireland, but negotiations had to include the IRA and the UDA. Negotiate with terrorists? I suspect negotiation may be the lesser of two evils.
Posted by Johnj, Wednesday, 31 January 2007 10:08:05 PM
Further re the Argentine indictments.

In the Washington Times it was claimed that "Interpol may not be following standard procedures in its handling of arrest warrants issued by the government of Argentina for 11 Iranians and Shi'ite militia Hezbollah members implicated..." http://washtimes.com/national/20070114-121946-2351r.htm

Interpol replied that the Washington Times "misrepresents the facts regarding Interpol's involvement in assisting Argentinian authorities" http://www.interpol.int/Public/News/2007/RonaldNoble20070124.asp

Pretty strong stuff from Interpol, but I guess only to be expected if they're being accused of incompetence or corruption. I'm beginning to smell a rat.

Curiouser and curiouser....
Posted by Johnj, Wednesday, 31 January 2007 10:32:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy