The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A testimony of injustice > Comments

A testimony of injustice : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 31/1/2007

Queensland Premier Peter Beattie has failed dismally in his handling of the Mulrunji controversy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Good heart felt points. But true on the treatment of underclasses generally. I can recall my wife being upset, when she saw a police booking an obvious "battler" in a beat-up old for a minor traffic infringement. I can recall a group of police "walking around" a Rolls Royce illegally parked across a pedestian crossing in Pitt Street, Sydney.

Palm Island is a contemporary incident. I think, it is Shark Island in Port Jackson, where the Crown chained a convict to the ground and beat his each night of two years. According, to the tour guide his skin has so masticated that he scream with pain, when it rained. His crime? He looked up, when on a work duty, when a guard said not to. Little has changed, Stephen.

Queensland could have Royal Commission into The Police. But, if NSW, is any example, we amstnesties to leave and superficialities
Posted by Oliver, Thursday, 1 February 2007 8:17:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I looked at several Queensland Cabinet submissions years ago (initially around the mid-1990s, probably when Goss was still Premier) about Palm Island. It seemed to me that it could never be a viable community, offshore with extremely limited opportunities, a desperate shortage of water and, because of its penal origins, a mixture of people from many different areas and groups. It seemed to me that it was best to offer resettlement on the mainland to all who wanted it, they'd have far more opportunities and could rejoin their traditional communities if they wanted to. But this was ruled out then and, more recently, by Beattie (who I think is appalling).

Stephen, what's your view? Would the offer of resettlement be of long-term benefit?
Posted by Faustino, Thursday, 1 February 2007 10:26:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My Unlce was removed to Palm Island in the 1940's from Cape York.
He was held their until the freeing up of laws in the 70's which allowed movement without permits.

He returned to his (our) traditional country to discovre his people had been removed to other missions or were 'shot out'.

He went back to Palm Island, a place he called home until he died.

The cemetary at Palm Island is a sea of white crosses, some with names many not.

I found his right next to other kith and kin that were removed there.

I know my 'traditional family' on PI and they know me.

Its their home now, and mine too for that matter.

Resettlement is not a choice if its where you consider home to be.

Would resettlment for norfolk islanders onto the mainland be in order? Yes, no. Discuss.
Posted by Rainier, Friday, 2 February 2007 7:41:34 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rainier,

"He was held [there] until the freeing up of laws in the 70's which allowed movement without permits."

That is disturbing. Are you saying that citizens of Palm Island were not allowed leave, without permission, even in this 60s? "Held" in what context? I have heard of "internal" movement permits in China, never Australia. Please expand.
Posted by Oliver, Friday, 2 February 2007 4:45:32 PM
Rainier, thanks for that info, it will help me and others to better understand the situation on Palm.
Posted by Faustino, Friday, 2 February 2007 8:38:40 PM
Rainier,

These threats are printed by the media many times. Not just from certain Aboriginals attempting to cause trouble but by other's as well. My statement of treating such people should be the same across the board.
Posted by Spider, Saturday, 3 February 2007 9:54:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy