The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The ACTU (still) knows better > Comments

The ACTU (still) knows better : Comments

By Joel Butler, published 15/1/2007

The ACTU and the ALP seem to be advocating an archaic paternalism in their approach to industrial relations.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. All
What that has supprised me is that the ACTU and Labor have now backflipped on The IR laws and this was in an article dated 10th of january, but one must also taking into account for the actu to have replied on that.

So ACTU and playing the happy parent well playing the happy dictator as with all those extra union members as labor and the ACTU Have said time and time again to get rid of howards IR laws.

So there parental actions are to scr#w the people rather than help.
Posted by tapp, Monday, 15 January 2007 2:04:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am always struck on the rhetoric that surrounds the debates o nthese issues. there never seems to be any middle ground. According to the comments so far (and thank you all for taking the time to comment) 'bosses' are portrayed as grossly overpaid CEO's and charge-what-the-traffic-will-bear lawyers' they take any opportunity to sack employees (and seem to take glee in doing so). The Howard government's legislation is (of course) anti-worker pro-greedy-boss and is part of a conspiracy to oppress everyone.

No doubt there are greddy bosses and no doubt there are some out there who would take a malicious glee in sacking some workers. Most of them, however, are just workers themselves - working hours just as long (if not longer) than those working for them, and with kids and families of their own. Most, too, despite what some would have us believe are compassionate human beings who do their best to balance the (legitimate) needs of a business with the needs of their workers.

And perhaps the Howard government's laws will result in a rough period for a few, but it will also present a lot with an opportunity - to earn a little more, to advance a little further, to have a little more flexibility (perhaps, shock and horror, to spend with their kids!)

Finally, Rossco, and perhaps this is an example of where having a balanced view is better rather than making assumptions, I am a teacher here at Bond, have been working (full-time) since my teens, and am also working to pay off that mortgage (and I could also do with a pay rise!)
Posted by jbutler, Monday, 15 January 2007 3:11:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fairdinkum, one day Andrew Ferguson and Co; they march with Hezbollah in protest against Israel; and flying the flag of the enemy; Then the very next week stand out side a Returned servicemen’s Retirement village protesting against is closure.

Sound awfully like a whole lot of people just got sucked in by Proletariat propaganda.

I bet you they are not doing it tough; and maybe some one should actually find out exactly what companies/ Businesses the Unions own; then check the safety record. I think that you just might find some very nasty supprises. And No Closure for dead workers families.
OOOOw,State Labor hay. On your side hay?
Posted by All-, Monday, 15 January 2007 4:27:34 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The employee should have the right to refuse any and all overtime. Otherwise, the employee is a conscript. There should be no test of reasonableness. It is a pity that the middle class has been convinced to through its lot in with the wealthy instead of with the working class. That is one reason for the decline of unions and the increase in the power of the employer, which is what the IR law is all about.

The ACTU is being weak in seeking only 10 items. There used to be 18, I believe. I suppose things will have to get much worse before the working people of Australia decide they need to do something about it.
Posted by Chris C, Monday, 15 January 2007 6:50:18 PM
I agree ChrisC

this is due to labors backflip on IR laws and the unions as well.

It was hoped that you would contact me as well about education, but obvious that you are entreched with someone else.

Labor and the unions have not told the people about their backflip and this seems to be so they aquire as many union members now under the banner of a lie.

So there we have it labor and the unions looking after themselves and not the people.
I can back my words and also sent in this article to OLO, just waiting for it to be posted hopefully.

email: swulrich@bigpond.net.au
Posted by tapp, Monday, 15 January 2007 7:36:24 PM
I always wonder when I see articles like this if the writer is deliberately disingenuous or just unworldly and naieve. This fantasy that employers and employees can get together, hold hands, sing songs (Kum-by-ah perhaps) and come to mutually acceptable agreements is infuriating. For sure and for certain there are plenty of businesses that know full well the value of their workforce and will treat them right. But disappointingly there are far too many that don't. Even within organisations where senior management is fair minded there are plenty of nasty middle managers who can now (courtesy of Howard) finally get stuck in to their workforce with impunity. Even if these people are eventually sorted out they can still do plenty of damage until they're brought to heel.

It is this freedom to mistreat the workforce that is having the most impact out there in the community. Never mind the cheerleaders in the media. People who are seeing their wages and conditions slowly being whittled away are telling their stories to friends and families and the polls are reflecting this.
Posted by STAUNCH, Monday, 15 January 2007 7:42:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy