The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > School's out all summer > Comments

School's out all summer : Comments

By Ian Keese, published 17/5/2007

The Federal Government's plan to run summer schools for teachers is educationally and economically irresponsible.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All
Liz,
So I’m probably one of the “good parents”, because I sent my daughter to a tutor.

But the study skills that were taught to my daughter by a tutor (and I paid a lot of money for) were definitely not taught to my daughter by any teacher she had at her school, and she had 7 different teachers in grade 8.

It could be a case that the more effective study skills are being kept for those who are prepared to pay money to learn those skills.

But I still can’t understand why there are now so many tutors when teachers are so efficient.

Education has now become so confusing, and very difficult to understand.
Posted by HRS, Sunday, 27 May 2007 12:49:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes HRS, if you saw the need for tutoring, then you're a good parent.

I think you are failing to see that the great majority of tutors are actually teachers.

Our school starts every semester teaching study skills. Many schools do. They do this in orientation week.
Posted by Liz, Thursday, 31 May 2007 11:21:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Liz,
Of course study skills are very important skills, as without those skills the student's won't learn much.

But according to my daughter's tutor (a semi-retired ex-principal of a primary school with a masters in education and so on), the study skills being taught in the schools were not good enough.

Perhaps the orientation week at the schools should be heavily reveiwed at the end of each semester to see how effective they were, and then improvements made.

It would be better than blaming the parents, or the students, or the government.
Posted by HRS, Friday, 1 June 2007 7:30:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy