The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > So what’s changed since the most recent war? > Comments

So what’s changed since the most recent war? : Comments

By Keith Kennelly, published 11/1/2007

Israel needs to be told it is out of step with world opinion and decency.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
1) Israel does not have "thousands of Palestinian detainees, detained without trial". There are currently fewer than 1000 Palestinian detainees. (See http://www.btselem.org/english/Administrative_Detention/Statistics.asp ). Most of the thousands of prisoners that the Palestinians hope to trade for one illegally abducted Israeli soldier were legally arrested, tried, and convicted of various crimes, including murder and war crimes.

2) Keith: “The suicide bombers haven't attacked Israel since before Lebanon...” They have now.

3) Keith: “You can't say the new settlement was built to prevent Palestinian aggression or in retaliation for some terrorists firing rockets. It is plainly an aggressive act. Does that clarify my point?”

No. You can’t say that Palestinian terrorism, including the rocket attacks on civilians, are intended to prevent Israeli aggression or in retaliation for some people building houses. They are plainly aggressive acts. (And one must also point out the perversity of comparing the building of houses and communities to war crimes such as terrorism.)

4) “Do you call the occupation and suppression of a race of people a valid raeson for war? A valid reason for going to war would be to rid the oppression.”

You have the cart before the horse: The occupation is a result, not a cause, of war. The formula for ending occupation is very simple: Make peace.

Continued...
Posted by sganot, Wednesday, 7 February 2007 1:52:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
5) Keith: “Being Arab is neither religious nor political it's racial.”

The concept of “race” is tremendously problematic and really has no scientific or objective meaning at all, but as these things are commonly defined, the Arabs are not a “race”.

6) Keith: “the one most simple qualification to become an Israeli is that you just need to be Jewish.”

One need not be Jewish to become an Israeli.

7) Keith: “The same condition discrimiunates against others of any other religion or non religious.”

If you think being Jewish is simply a matter of religion, you don’t understand Jewish identity as most Jews, and as Israel, define it. Anyone can apply for citizenship in Israel, but our Law of Return discriminates in favor of Jews as members of the Jewish nation (not because of their religious beliefs or practices or lack thereof.) It isn’t racist (like Arabs, Jews are not a “race”), and numerous countries throughout the world similarly discriminate in favor of people of a particular nationality or ethnicity associated with the state. About this, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_return and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repatriation_laws .
Posted by sganot, Wednesday, 7 February 2007 1:57:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sganot

Wonderful. You finally through all the verbage and justification eventually got my point.

'The occupation is a result, not a cause, of war. The formula for ending occupation is very simple: Make peace.'

The problem is as described in my article. The problam for not making efforts at peace is the Israeli's actions and their continuing 40 year occupation.

Oh and have you read Daniels propaganda piece published today. I think you'd cringe at the half truths and manipulation of facts and events it contains.

Breathtaking eh?
Posted by keith, Friday, 9 February 2007 2:57:50 PM
Sganot,
As understood, not only ethnic Jews enter Israel and become Israelis, but even Arabs -not only the Arabs of Palestine- and Muslims are short of local citizenships in a range of Arabic lands-countries of their permanent residence.

Keith,
If you think that appeasing with territories is a path to a peace, no reason wasting your life for assuring others in such a nonsense.
Posted by MichaelK., Saturday, 10 February 2007 2:22:23 AM
MichaelK

You overlook pertinant facts. It is the Israeli's who are seeking extra land just as the Nazi's did. Appeasement in that context is silly. I agree.

I think it legitimate the Palestinians have their own state and clearly defined borders .ie at pre '67 boundaries. Where is the appeasement in that?

It is the Israeli's who are not seeking a resolution to the conflict.

Didn't you understand the article?
Posted by keith, Saturday, 10 February 2007 3:29:04 PM
Artic Dog

I came across this quote today. I'll share it with you.

"I support compulsory transfer. I do not see in it anything immoral ... The Arabs will have to go, but one needs an opportune moment for making it happen, such as a war."

David Ben-Gurion, Israel's founding father, 1937.

NB He spouted that some 11 years before the war of 48.
Bet you don't include that little gem in your version of history.

And how would you react if the Palestinian President Ismail Haniya was to say:
'The Jews will have to go, but one needs an opportune moment for making it happen, such as a war.'
Posted by keith, Saturday, 10 February 2007 3:39:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy