The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A refugee’s story > Comments

A refugee’s story : Comments

By Andrew Bartlett, published 8/1/2007

A measured and moving piece (regardless of one's views on the refugee issue), with a wholly unexpected punch-line. Best Blogs 2006.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Sage what on earth is your point?

That because there are lots of things to do, and lots of people to care about, that unless you can do it all you should do none.

And we wonder why thoughtful, sincere politicians are so rare.
Posted by Anna Winter, Monday, 8 January 2007 5:38:56 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
yes, there is plenty of work in Australia for those who want to do good deeds. That's why I've been working for years with people, of whom Ali was one, who were in Australia. As do many many other people of course. Clearly for some people, helping out a refugee is an act deserving of abuse and contempt, but thankfully such attitudes are fairly rare in Australia, which is mostly a compassionate and rational country.

Contrary to Scotty's bigotry, I consider all 'AUSSIES' in need to be deserving of support, not just those that fit your narrow prejudice. But helping out poor people, the homeless or the sick probably doesn't sound cool at your dinner parties, does it Scotty - I guess they're all just bludgers to you. You're obviously too busy still spreading lies like "bringing in unskilled migrants shafts blue collar workers" and other long disproved myths. But why try build a better country for everyone when you can just take the easy route of slagging off easy targets? Believe what you want if it makes you feel better. You're obviously not interested in reality anyway.

I have done many of the things you talk about Sage, and will continue to do so. Assistance shouldn't be selective dependent on skin colour or religion. It is however worth noting that in none of the examples you give are people suffering and being harmed and families being deliberately destroyed as a deliberate conscious decision of govenrment policy. Unlike some of the other tragedies of life, the suffering deliberately inflicted on those Aussies who are asylum seekers and refugees as a result of our own laws and policies is easily reversible. Thankfully, some of it now has been, which is to the benefit of our entire community.
Posted by AndrewBartlett, Monday, 8 January 2007 6:29:04 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Andrew....
It will clearly take a while..but we will get there.
I don't HATE all Muslims, but I have no time whatsoever for those who overtly seek to 'Sharia'-ize this country, to me thats War and they are the enemy, plain and simple.

As I said..POLICY is the key.. One cannot let personal affection or friendship interfere with sound national policy. You think I'm inexperienced, ?
While in Malaysia, the CHILDREN of the Muslims who owed their lives to our medical work, i.e. those who were only alive because of Christian compassion, turned the water off to us during a water shortage. By 'us', I mean a community of hundreds of people. This is called the "Pharaoh who knew not Joseph" sydrome. It matters not a bit, how nice you are to ONE generation, what matters in the end, is how their children and their grandchildren regard you, and what values permeate their community.
"Love what Allah loves and Hate what Allah hates(thats you and me)" is the Islam of the Quran.
Here is one such http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anjem_Choudary
Called for Britain to become an Islamic State.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/09/10/nterr110.xml

You claim I don't know much about Islam. Really ? On what basis do you claim that ? I've been studying it from the more original sources for quite some time now. I've lived under it. Been forced to display Pro Muslim election posters on my Christian home, had guns shoved in my face, but that is just emotive, my point is... the Islam I know, is the one which rages in the streets of London yelling BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT ISLAM.... now.. did you see the video ? did you see how MANY there were ? I'll guarantee that back at their homes, they will be the nicest most hospitable people you can find.
But they were screaming for our blood on the streets in numbers the police could not handle.

You may disagree, but that is true Islam. I mean.."Quranic" Islam, which other kind can there be ?

Ali's passing is a true tragedy on a family level.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 8 January 2007 6:33:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi BD, been a little while, my new workplace is less accomodating to using work time to post on chat forums, but its great to see some things never change, may your campaign against muslims be long and uselees my friend!

I just finished reading 'to kill a mockingbird' and one line stuck in my head, while Jem is theorising and frustrating himself about the four types of people in maycomb county (normal folk, cunninghmas, Ewalls and Niggers)his little sister puts the whole world into perspective in one neat little line, "Nah Jeem I think theres only really one types of folk. Folk"

You might be able to get some sleep at night if you just accept this BD, were all flawed, picking on one mob of folk don't do Jack.

Good article by the way Andrew.
Posted by Carl, Monday, 8 January 2007 7:16:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
HD wrote:

"I disagree with Andrew's take on the refugee issue"

What do you disagree with Helen?

And which the blazes did this national debate over tampa happen
Posted by Rainier, Monday, 8 January 2007 7:41:17 PM
Andrew,

I find the poor and homeless Aussies far more deserving of support and assistance than you might imagine. I just think that importing a natural born enemy that will ultimately destroy our way of life and lower conditions for our children is morally corrupt and they will its to late to stop it now, like cockroaches to a cornflake they will slowly but surely eat away at the system till it crumbles. France is a shining example of multiculturalism 10% muslim and growing, last week 400 cars burnt, no go areas for police, sounds like parts of Lakemba doesnt it Andrew.

I believe in fixing Aboriginal health, getting our own homeless off the streets and mandatory sentences. We cannot afford more centrelink customers Andrew, and thats exactly what were importing, that and more left wing voters but you already new that.

Im a former soldier with combat experience in Iraq and East Timor and have seen first hand up close and personal like what muslims are apt to do. I hope to Christ we dont have to see it here its just not worth the risk. Its like bringing a dangerous pitbull to play with your kids, best left alone.

We have plenty of problems here of our own to fix Andrew, Im not a biggot Im a realist, its your policies that seem unreal to me.

Mohhumud was a pedarist
Posted by SCOTTY, Monday, 8 January 2007 8:32:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy