The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Moral responsibility and citizenship > Comments

Moral responsibility and citizenship : Comments

By Helen Irving, published 22/12/2006

Citizenship does not make a person virtuous, and being a non-citizen does not make a person morally suspect.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
A few points -

Ireland suffered from terrorism for decades, yet they never allowed their civil rights (habeus corpus, presumption of innocence, right to trial by jury) to be railroaded. The US on the other hand...

Coach - I'm curious. You loyal to your god before Australia? Also note that there are various inflections in words such as Ummah. 'Jihad' for instance, has been taken out of context multiple times - often by muslim militants themselves. Jihad may not always mean holy war - at other times, it can mean the conflict with self, and the distractions which drive one from Allah, and from your fellow man. Of course, this conflict isn't nearly as attention grabbing as 'holy war'...

I wasn't born in this country, but I've lived here since I was nine years old. I've been working full time and supporting myself since I was nineteen... I contribute to the public sphere, and I am an Australian citizen. I vote.

Does the fact that I was not born here mean my opinion is less valid than that of a fifth generation Australian? I sat no test, but quite frankly, I tend to think being an Australian citizen isn't something you can be quizzed on in a simple multiple choice.
It is something you learn from being here for a certain period of time. Last time I checked, that was the requirement.

Make no mistake. This test is about politics and populous pandering.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Monday, 8 January 2007 2:07:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Back to the roots of this discussion, a reader if having it understood properly, appreciates an article’s notion very much.

With broader approach to an issue, a publicist quite practically points at a London terro-act, not bothering to dig into a very cause of this particular event which is a mere reflection on instantly discriminated and humiliated on biological basis non-Anglo subjects of English crown.

Leaving an option to extradite en-masse own non-Anglo-Saxon-Celtic population not happy for being to the best a pool of underpaid slavery-style lackeys-in-generations serving a higher race of UK-linked-biologically native English speakers, the Howard’s government rightfully acts in accordance to elective majority’s wishes.

And foreigners-that is British subjects living in Australia- have a passive elective right in this UK semi-colony.
Posted by MichaelK., Wednesday, 10 January 2007 11:31:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is that lingo pigeon universityeez, Michael?
Posted by Cowboy Joe, Wednesday, 10 January 2007 11:38:16 PM
From "Believe in Your Country" by Stompin' Tom Connors:
"If you don't believe your country
Should come before yourself,
You can better serve your country
By livin' somewhere else."

Now, how many people enter Australia each year because they weren't willing to serve their own country? How many will be willing to serve Australia?

If you don't have any sense of loyalty to your country why get upset and feel betrayed when business leaves for better climes? Why should the guy with the money to invest have to answer to a higher expectation than the citizen or new immigrant? After all. Australia may be the new home of the citizen of convenience. As long as it doesn't cost anything and there is no expectations to up hold. It's a nice place to hang your hat. Well, as long as my needs are being served that is.

Looking for a job next year? Try China or India or Turkey or ....
Posted by aqvarivs, Thursday, 11 January 2007 2:32:01 AM
MichaelK

Please accept the following with good-will.

Whilst I can empathise with some of your postings, I sometimes have difficulty comprehending what it is that you are trying to say. I assume that English is not your native tongue. It almost appears that you are writing with some strange Thesaurus at your elbow. If not, then please cast aside the dictionary or whatever you are using and place your reliance upon some more standard reference for your translation into English. Failing that, please get someone more proficient in English to proof read your script.

If you do so, I can assure you that your postings will be more likely to be taken seriously particularly by peasants such as Cowboy Joe and Aqvarivs.
Posted by VK3AUU, Thursday, 11 January 2007 8:33:33 AM
I've been toiling the fields tending my cucumbers, the Lebanese ones as they are less acidic, zucchinis, chives and basil that I planted yesterday and will be trying to get my Postie Bike started this avvo. I've already taken the Organic venison out of the freezer for tonight’s BBQ.

I must be a peasant, growing my own veggies, hunting my own protein and repairing my own mechanical devices. Surprisingly, my B Sc degree is on REAL sheepskin, fancy that. I thought lefties liked peasants, so go figure.

Most degree holders historically defend Multiculturalism by pointing out the good ethnic food we take for granted, that didn't exist in the past. However, ones I have informed about Paul Sheehan’s book Among the Barbarians ISBN 009 183636 0 have little response when the historical truth is revealed by an insider... a former staunch Labor Party member who let the cat out of the bag. It was for the votes. Not sweet and sour pork or falafel or butter chicken but VOTES so who really are the peasants (uneducated) now?

It appears commonplace for tertiary educated snobs to continually repeat concepts they were taught as if they were mantras. My view of a truly educated person is one that has learned how to learn and has some objectivity about core issues. An educated person doesn’t think in slogans that were spoon fed at university.

Try another adjective VK3AUU as I do not think you were referring to my agrarian tendencies. My level of education is not dependent upon your preconceptions of an educated person, ie one who thinks like you do. This unpleasantness is called democracy, remember?

I'm a migrant, dual citizen, and if it were not for our migrants who still know what a real day’s work is, we would have a much lower standard of living than we have at the present. I would like some reality to permeate the issue. Reality defined as what we observe and experience not the creation of reality with multisyllabic PC buzz words.
Posted by Cowboy Joe, Thursday, 11 January 2007 2:04:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All