The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Fresh eyes on Beijing > Comments

Fresh eyes on Beijing : Comments

By Greg Barns, published 12/12/2006

If Kevin Rudd wins the next election you can expect Australia's engagement with China will be ratcheted up a few gears.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
This is about as prescient and incisive as suggesting if you leave milk out of the fridge it will go off.
Posted by sneekeepete, Tuesday, 12 December 2006 12:16:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not particularly prescient perhaps, but sometimes it's handy to have someone draw a few basic truths together - I was aware of Rudd's background and I'd assumed he'd increase involvement with China, but I hadn't considered the concept of making Australia the most 'China literate' Western nation. This concept interests me, as does the location where this story was published. Nice, but a little daunting, to know that Australia does at least appear on the everyday Chinese citizen's radar, at least occasionally.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Tuesday, 12 December 2006 2:27:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The most China literate western nation may be quite easy to achieve if none of the other western nations show much interest in China literacy.

If China is to remain a major business partner we could do worse than be China literate. Note that it does not mean abandoning the US alliance.
Posted by gusi, Tuesday, 12 December 2006 7:25:12 PM
Wouldn't it be great to have a Labor leader who studied Indigenous Australian cultures and history in the 1970's!

Oh, hang on, I forgot, most Labor party people elected, by devine ideological prowess, already think they have.
Posted by Rainier, Friday, 29 December 2006 11:12:53 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy