The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > An open door to terrorists > Comments

An open door to terrorists : Comments

By Graham Cooke, published 4/12/2006

The Philippines has no plans to deal with Islamic terrorism even though Jemaah Islamiyah has a presence in the country.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
ENtirely token mention of the 660+? US Special Forces that have been operating in Phillipines for fours years at least, in contravention of their constitution and in face of opposition from many sectors of society (as Pres. Arroyo smeared all opponents as 'terrorist lovers').

http://www.pacom.mil/photoday/photoday2006/061129photooftheday.shtml
http://131.84.1.218/philimagery/index3.shtml
http://www.commondreams.org/scriptfiles/views03/1115-09.ht
http://zmagsite.zmag.org/Dec2002/green1202.htm

Surely allowing that counts for more brownie points in the War on Terra?
Posted by Liam, Monday, 4 December 2006 9:50:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is curious this essay has all the elements that might ususally bring an OLO avalanche of paranoid postings about trrrists and Islam -

But nope - very little well in to the day - while the Phillipines could not be described as a failed state if you believe the author it is trying as hard as it can to resemble one.

So where are the woried warriors? - I think this lack of interest in a place that has all the elements of being a launching place for evil suggests the fire has gone out in the belly of many.

They are realising the ground war in Iraq is lost - and once the main players leave a lot of the impetus for international terror goes too,
Posted by sneekeepete, Monday, 4 December 2006 3:42:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Reckon they're either too busy nursing their share portfolio's for maximum return, or celebrating the Labor party changing deckchairs.
Posted by Liam, Monday, 4 December 2006 5:55:59 PM
sneekeepete

You speak some truth as usual. But I think lack of commenter interest and lack of an effective Filipino miltary and legal campaign against JI is due to there being few Westerners effected by JI's activities in the Philippines.

In the Philippines there has (so far) been nothing like a Bali bombing killing hundreds of Westerners so:

- Australian public interest is slight, and
- unlike the Indonesian courts the Philippine legal system has not been PERSUADED (by Western diplomatic pressure) to put on trial and convict many Muslim insurgent leaders labeled as JI.

The Christian Filipino authorities are loathe to crack down on JI due to sectarian concerns that the constant Muslim insurgency in the southern Phippines could flare up into something even less manageable.

Basically until a significant number of Westerners in the Philippines become casualties of JI or of Muslim insurgents generally the wheels of Filipino justice will creak along as usual and occasionally fall off.

Pete
http://spyingbadthings.blogspot.com/
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 5 December 2006 12:00:22 PM
Well IMHO the open door is the door to Australia by way of allowing lawyers to make an estimated $2 billion pa via what they term the sham marriage industry, particularly involving women from the Philippines. From my own article "Mail Order Terrorism" I will quote

"In 2002 I purchased the book "Others Unknown - the Oklahoma Bombing Case and Conspiracy" by Stephen Jones the defence attorney for Timothy McVeigh. The book was released before 9/11, but virtually forecasts that a person named Osama bin Laden was behind the whole thing. The "conspiracy" aspect is that the court, via the government, covered up all the evidence by not allowing it to be brought before the court. It goes without saying that 9/11 itself was simply the main event, bin Laden having used Oklahoma as the pre match dancing girls.

McVeigh was executed, so he could not tell us who the others unknown were and Terry Nichols refused to have his life sentence reduced by telling. But it all became academic once 9/11 happened as the horse had bolted. But the chilling link to our own home grown Abbott soap operas is that a Filipino mail order bride [for Terry Nichols] named Marife Torres was the "glue" between the mules Nichols [and possibly McVeigh] in USA and bin Laden and the crew in the Philippines. And it was in fact a sham marriage, albeit that there was no divorce for obvious reasons."

and later on

"In other words there are other ways to make money such as working as maids for the wealthy in Singapore and such countries and sending funds home to their families, and those ladies with higher morals would always do that before entering a sham marriage contract. And I am confirming that from my own personal experiences as an ex-pat and "getting to know" how all these things work. So in this way the sham marriage gals are virtually a "self sorted" pool available for terrorist matters."
Posted by Divorce Doctor, Tuesday, 5 December 2006 2:56:44 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh yeah - I forgot to say you need to get the FIRST edition of "Others Unknown" because it seems that after 9/11 even Jones was "induced" to forget all about Others Unknown and morphed over to "what Timothy told me about Timothy, and yes George, I'll forget about bin Laden"
Posted by Divorce Doctor, Thursday, 7 December 2006 10:50:15 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy