The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Women see red on White Ribbon Day > Comments

Women see red on White Ribbon Day : Comments

By Bronwyn Winter, published 27/11/2006

White Ribbon Day should be a time where each man considers his own behaviours, attitudes, beliefs and values he holds towards women.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 36
  7. 37
  8. 38
  9. Page 39
  10. 40
  11. All
I am all for giving up seats to women ,but this ad about manners is indeed in very poor taste, even if he probably did deserve a whack aroud the ears with a foam object .The other one on a woman letting a door slam on a box laden man is also a bit "off".
Certainly won't encourage me to open up a Commonwalth a/c -they were the bank that INVENTED the long que .
Also were the first bank to close down in our local town .
Just a thought,I wonder how many single mothers will encourage good door opening manners and "standing-up "for women as part of life for their young sons ?
Posted by kartiya jim, Friday, 5 January 2007 7:45:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There's an icecream ad out now where a whole bunch of blokes get a wrap over the ears from their girlfriends for turning their head when a new girl in a bikini walks into the swimming pool enclosure. Open season has been declared.

Have any of you heard about the feminist critique of classical music. It nearly destroyed my enthusiasm for music when I was studying music in the late 90's. It follows as such;

At the first level, you have the problem that all the great composers were men. The suggestion that this was the product of a society which did not value the contribution of women or did not provide the same opportunities to women in the public sphere is fair enough. One could argue that as the sales for male and female artists is now roughly equal, (although the top jobs in the music industry may well be mostly male,) a lot has been done since the 1800s to remedy the situation. There is also a general acceptance in musicology literature that the masculine and feminine are portrayed in various ways.

But the attack goes far deeper. Susan McClarry, in Feminist Endings, suggests that males and females write in a fundamentally different manner. But as males occupied the chief positions in the music world, as in the rest of society, females were forced to write in a masculine manner. For all her talk about social constructions and social conditioning, the crux of her argument basically boils down to the rather crude observation that the differences betweeen male and female composition are directly related to the differneces between the male and female orgasm.

At her worst, McClarry slanders Beethoven. Referring to the violence of his third Symphony, the great Eroica, she argues that he "rapes the audience."

You'd be amazed how demoralising this drivel can be on young male musicians and composers. Feminist theory must be allowed to be criticised in an unemotional manner, and with an unemotional response. If unchallenged, it can do a lot of damage.
Posted by dozer, Tuesday, 16 January 2007 4:53:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dozer, feminists have to reduce things down to a sexual level, basically as Daphne Patai pointed out in Heterophobia to use inflammatory analogies, which trick our brains into thinking or comparing sexual harrasement is the same as rape.

Basically by hooking the emotional response, the more sensible intellectual analysis is over riden. Inflamming the emotions has been used by groups in the past to commit otherwise horrific acts, for example the lynch mob mentality, or the KKK.

It takes an extrodinarily strong person to rise above the mob mentality.

I do not know if this link has been posted before.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/search/story.cfm?storyid=000A40AC-F46C-1556-B73C83027AF1010F

Domestic violence campaigners accused of bias
Monday November 13, 2006
By Simon Collins
"Two top health researchers have accused the Families Commission of "ideologically driven" bias in presenting domestic violence as a problem of men battering women."
Posted by JamesH, Wednesday, 17 January 2007 5:56:28 PM
James I'd not seen that article previously but I have posted links to a summary of the partner violence findings of the Dunedin study on this thread http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/170018.pdf - for those who think the link is to a radical mens group try again, the document is a research brief for the U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, National Institute of Justice.

The point at the end of the NZ Herald article about a bob each way is spot on.

Those who want to insist that family violence is heavily genderised are at the same time suggesting that they are talking about a very wide range of violence. When confronted with the evidence they switch the debate to the most extreme forms of violence between adults (ignoring the of deaths of children at the hands of women).

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Wednesday, 17 January 2007 7:04:43 PM
Robert, I think that, that type of manoeuvring is called 'rationalization'.

"They deal with conflicting evidence, by selective perception, compartmentalising, rationalising, by attacking its credibility, or by demonising the messenger. "

Sociopathic Behaviour
http://www.uow.edu.au/arts/sts/bmartin/dissent/documents/health/sociopathy.html

Personally I think that if more attention was paid to less dramatic family abuse and the perpetrators of that abuse then we would seen a decline in the much more dramatic forms of abuse such manslaughter and murder.

I have read where women will provoke men in order to get a response from them. so to be really honest we need to look at what part this applies in the final acts of DV. Although this will sit very uncomfortably with gendered and radical feminists.

Another interesting site I discovered.
http://www.dvstats.com/
Posted by JamesH, Thursday, 18 January 2007 7:20:25 PM
James whilst a corrupt system does not excuse violence I suspect that a fairer family law system might also reduce the more extreme cases.

Leaving people with little or nothing to lose and C$A there to make moving on difficult if not impossible must push some over the edge.

In the end violence is the final responsibility of the perpetrator regardless of the provocation but those who provoke it also bear some responsibility.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 18 January 2007 9:27:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 36
  7. 37
  8. 38
  9. Page 39
  10. 40
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy