The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Labor’s death wish > Comments

Labor’s death wish : Comments

By Peter McMahon, published 1/12/2006

The ALP is defunct - run by soft-headed opportunists with minimal understanding of the contemporary world.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
People are dreaming if they think that global warming is going to become a hot button issue - no pun intended.

Despite what the polls say, the population's commitment to tackling it is soft. It's dead easy to say to a pollster you support more government action on climate change - most people don't understand yet that it will demand that they pay more for their electricity. Take the poll after that dawns on them and they'll be a lot more circumspect.

I suspect the left loves the global warming issue because it permits, no demands, a quasi religious fervour. The more you believe it must be tackled now with drastic action, the more ideologically correct you are. Because it's a phenomenon that will be played out over decades, likely hundreds of years, real results are difficult to measure. Faith is what is required.

This is not to say that greenhouse gas emissions should not be reduced. I think that would be prudent. But people aren't going to accept some of the more radical nonsense being espoused by the Greens and the left of Labor. More likely they will accept considered measures that reduce emissions in the long term and learn to live with a slightly hotter climate over the next century or so.
Posted by grn, Friday, 1 December 2006 11:56:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
On Monday morning as Kevin Rudd walks out of that room as leader of the ALP a new start will have begun.
The party will have said it understands its not party faithfull we need to win over but those who left us and have voted for John Howard for 3 elections.
Kim you good bloke, the best Minister for defence we have ever had, thanks but it is time.
Time to commit to winning an election not a factional war.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 1 December 2006 12:52:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Neither party will attempt to tackle global warming. These are politicians, and they will only do what will get them re-elected. The country will demand this thing is seen too. Provided there is no loss of life style or any inconvenience; they will demand the government do something. Most are expecting to live it up now, and get another crack at it in the next life. Bargain :)
Posted by treyster, Friday, 1 December 2006 1:31:09 PM
Governments lose elections, Oppositions don't win them.

What is interesting about global warming as an issue is that Labor has been so slow to publicly embrace green issues that they cannot make any political capital out of Howard's obvious temporary discomfort.

Global warming will blow over as an issue and Howard will win. Then global warming will be an issue again, and the cycle will repeat until the environmental wheels really do fall off and John Howard is simply a University that no-one attends or a tollway in Melbourne.
Posted by westernred, Friday, 1 December 2006 3:06:23 PM
B_D, you put it into perspective very nicely. I'll admit to being a Labor voter most of my voting life, although I did swing when "that" PM stated "If Labor gets in, you'd better hide your money in the mattress", however, I've become very disillusioned with Labor over the last few years. Sometimes, I walk around the house wringing my hands in despair at the notion that there's nobody who will stand up for the commoner. The current political landscape has all but made Labor and the unions irrelevant and yet at the same time, the people of Australia has been deluded into thinking the Coalition is some magic force in controlling the economy. They keep harking on this 17% interest thing from bygone era and yet Howard's track record on Government book keeping is appalling if you look back at his time as Treasurer. Everybody's pretty happy at present as the mineral and mining boom trickles down through the economy to provided a mirid of unnecessary toys such as Ipods, flatscreens, mobile phones, 4x4's and McMansions with more rooms than a decent family could ever need, but what happens when the economic bubble bursts? Excessive living and credit card debt will quickly bring the chickens home to roost. My prediction is this... Labor will not be able to match the lies of the Coalition Government next year and will remain in opposition. John Howard will be forwarned of the imminent crash and will resign on a high note as his hero Bob Menzies did. The crash will see even the most ardent supporters of the Libs writhe in financial agony as their dreams and security go up in smoke. Thousands will loose their homes, their cars and their lifestyle. Labor will be powerless to offer a solution and despair will scatter votes to some very strange parties in the 2010 election. B_D makes very good sense when he says to grab a modest patch of land and grow your own veggies. If you can keep up with the exorbatant rate hikes, at least you won't starve to death.
Posted by Wildcat, Friday, 1 December 2006 3:27:44 PM
There is one way that Labor will win the next election easily and it was put in train today.

Whatever you think about Kevin Rudd he is no fool, to bring on a challenge he must have 30 votes in the Labor Caucus so all he needs is one more vote.

I believe he will win, Beazley made a big error by refusing to re-shuffle his front bench and get rid of the dead wood. Swan, Smith, Albanese can anyone remember any others?

The next election will be won or lost in Queensland, and a leader from Qld will help.

Start trembling Johnny, the real Labor party is starting to rise and your repulsive Govt. is on the way out :)
Posted by Steve Madden, Friday, 1 December 2006 6:24:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy