The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A country lost in its own region > Comments

A country lost in its own region : Comments

By Antony Loewenstein, published 17/11/2006

Only international pressure on Israel can bring a nation addicted to violence to heel.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Boazy

You asked "Planta... you might provide some input here?"

regarding

"3/ The Political. (once all Palestinians are allowed to 'return' they will outnumber the Jews and seek political representation accordingly.

This last point has been made well in just this past week by Hamas demanding more say and basically threatening to overthrow the Lebanese government if not given."

Well I'd say there has been sufficient animosity built up between Israelis and Palestinians to preclude stable coexistence within one democratic system.

On Hamas "threatening to overthrow the Lebanese government" I haven't been following things closely since the 2006 War To Free 2 or 3 Israeli Soldiers (in theory). I'd be surprised if Shiite Hezbollah, who are the strongest military force in Lebanon, would permit Sunni Hamas types to really seize the Lebanese government - a short term marriage of convenience if at all.

Its a mess getting worse. Hezbollah may well have 20,000 rockets now and Iranian nuclear weapons seem just round the corner...(potentially hidden anywhere in Iran or offshore). Also its unknown whether the Christian Republican Right (a la Bush) has sufficient power over the US armed forces to guarantee support for Israel. Israel would be feverishly working on the Democrats.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 17 November 2006 11:27:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I say that the West should pull its troops out of every trouble spot in the world and stop supporting Israel with weapons or whatever they are accused of doing. Why do the sons of the West have to continually put themselves at risk to stop other peoples wars.
Let the Arabs and Israelies fight it out and get it over with.
Disband the united nations they are useless.

If we didn’t have satellite television to beam these constant tribal conflicts into our living rooms and the war technology and transport to get quickly to these trouble spots like 100years ago,then we wouldn’t be able to mount all these peace keeping missions anyway. For thousands of years these tribal wars have rages all over the planet and now suddenly we feel its our place to go and try and stop them all.

If two tribes are determined to wipe each other out then it cant be stopped forever, unless the West is prepared to keep troops there for centuries and even if they did as soon as they left the fighting and massacres would probably just start all over again.

The Arabs sided with Hitler in World War 2 and plotted with his generals to wipe out the Jews. After the War the West was left with the problem of where to put all of the displaced Jews. None of the Western countries wanted to take them so they let them flood into Palestine. So now the bitter territorial fight that once raged between the Germans and the Jews is now raging between the Arabs and the Jews. The problem has just been moved
Posted by sharkfin, Saturday, 18 November 2006 1:29:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To be Jewishly anti-Jewish is the luxury of only one who is unwilling to fight for the survival of Jewishness under the existential threat that is posed by Islamic fanaticism.

Loewenstein is doing this all in the name of his inveterate leftist ideological pride and purity. But the ideologues of the left are morally and intellectually a WITHERED species.

SEE:http://power-politics1.blogspot.com
Posted by Themistocles, Saturday, 18 November 2006 7:04:36 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Here's a Google video which popped up over the last few days:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6454254219830064032&q=The+Real+Enemy+of+the+Jews

To a godless technocrat like me, this seems to be logical and well argued. It shouldn't give offence, but no doubt I'll be chastised by someone out there.

Your weekend viewing...
Posted by Chris Shaw, Carisbrook 3464, Saturday, 18 November 2006 9:40:36 AM
Fellow Human ,

If the Arabs and the Jews lived together so happily as you say, then why did so many millions of Jews flee to the state of Germany(immigrated).
Why did the Arab leaders side with Hitler and help him in his goal of wiping out the Jews
Posted by sharkfin, Saturday, 18 November 2006 1:51:28 PM
I sometimes think that the widespread condemnation of Israel is indicative of racism - not against Israel and its Jewish population, but against the Arab world. There often seems to be an undertone of 'they should know better' - that we can condemn the Jewish people because they are civilised, educated and KNOW that what they are doing is wrong. And there is no point in condemning Arab atrocities because they don't know any better.

I could be wrong, but that's the way I see it. Israel is surrounded by violence, and Israel regularly involves itself in that violence. But it is also surrounded by rational people who surely understand as well as many Israelis do that violence from both sides is wrong.

We don't just need to condemn Israel - hell, that has never worked in the past. I don't have a solution, but I have been alive and politically aware long enough to see countless summits, talks and ceasefires fail.
Posted by Otokonoko, Saturday, 18 November 2006 2:22:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy