The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Getting a university education is not like grocery shopping > Comments

Getting a university education is not like grocery shopping : Comments

By Tara Brabazon, published 17/11/2006

Students are not consumers. No student - none of us - can buy knowledge.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Yes, students are not treated respectfully as customers in the universities that I've had the 'privilege' of attending, but as fodder for leftist indoctrination. Case in point, as a post-graduate student at Sydney University we were told by a self-proclaimed 'unreconstructed Marxist' lecturer in a class on the sociology of health care, that Marx and Lenin were outstanding figures in health-care! If only we were treated as customers, then there might be some real customer care.
Posted by mykah, Wednesday, 22 November 2006 12:39:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi all,

Having completed my degree with many "all nighters" and alcoholic beverages (thats right the bar isn't there for decoration) I can honestly say that they were the best years of my life. I can also say that generalising students based on whether they choose to enjoy their uni years or not is rather silly. I knew people that studied 24 / 7 yet they were absolutely hopeless when it came to demonstrating knowledge. I also know people of the opposite extreme. The most important skill that one learns in university is learning how to learn. Learning how to research and be resourceful with next to no help from anyone else.

I don't believe we should have to pay for a university education, however, I don't feel uni is a waste of time or money. It really bridges the gap between being spoon fed (high school) and becoming completely independant and able to aquire knowledge on your accord (work force). Some people need this more than others, I just feel that alot of people don't apprecaite that side of uni which in my opinion is far more important (in alot of cases, not ALL) than the total amount of knowledge you acquire in your given field.

Now of course the obvious rebutal would be to point out those that are sucessful without attending university. Uni is not and has never been a contract for sucess! It is an institution to educate students and prepare them somewhat for the real world and in some degrees provide them with essential knowledge they need to perform their chosen career paths. Either way, the best part about university is that it is optional to those who think it is a waste of time.
Posted by kish, Sunday, 26 November 2006 6:06:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy