The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How does God exist? > Comments

How does God exist? : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 9/11/2006

We are privy to God’s address to us but not to God Himself.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 37
  7. 38
  8. 39
  9. Page 40
  10. 41
  11. All
God is seen by some to be masculine yet He made woman-females in His image strange that eh? Also El-Shadia which is a 'name?" of God (actually more a job description) anyhow those with a knowledge of language say that is could mean "The Breasted One" and new followers in the New Testament were given the 'milk' of the Word by Paul. Christ at one time equated Himself as a mother hen.
Many of the above scribes seem to use BIG words and involved wording as a substitute for knowledge about a God they know so little about.
Regards, numbat
Posted by numbat, Monday, 25 December 2006 1:26:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Christian Science Monitor conducted a survey in America to detail the type of God people believed in. It would appear four different Gods are apparent within ‘Christian’ America (and perhaps to a lesser degree, 'Christian' Australia)

About 5 percent of the 1,721 respondents were atheists, but the rest had a view of God that fit one of four basic "types":

Type "A" is authoritarian, metes out punishment, and is highly involved in world and personal affairs (the view of about 31 percent).
Type "B" is benevolent, also active in the world and individual lives, but more forgiving (23 percent).
Type "C" is critical, not engaged but still passing judgment - which individuals will discover in a later life (16 percent).
Type "D" is distant, neither active nor judging - but a force which set the laws of nature in motion (about 24 percent).

The "four Gods" track more closely with political and social attitudes than do traditional indicators such as church attendance. Religion experts, as a result, suspect a superficiality amongst the ‘God-fearers’.

Whilst not necessarily a proponent for atheism, I would maintain, however, there is a certain sanity and consistency of non-belief there – perhaps quite a healthy and much needed reaction toward ‘God-piety'.
Posted by relda, Monday, 25 December 2006 10:24:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"For the Hebrews, God’s greatest victories were not cosmic but occurred on earth." - Relda

-- Consistent with a tribal god (associated with a terrestial volcano).

Jesus and later NT embellishments (Paul) tend to make the god transition in type away from the OT. Perhaps, the Christian Monitor God scale would affix to several different god types, depending on the particular verse/actions selected from the OT (tribal/primitive) and the NT (political/cosmological). Also, from the exclusive to the inclusive.

[Survey: Assuming God here equates to Christian versions of god.]

Sells,

If we take the OT and the Koran, as a sources of God's word, and for argument's sake (for now only), accept that Moses and Mohammed did make supernatural "contact". How do you know contact was made with, "God". Because, a voice said so? How do you know that the voice was, indeed, God's and not an other deceptive supernatural agent?
Posted by Oliver, Tuesday, 26 December 2006 1:20:04 PM
Shmuel, I laugh at many things in life ... often at myself, to myself and explains perhaps why I come to post here mainly in Peter's articles where I read so much funny stuff. However, many would be jokes of cosmic proportions if they were not so bludddy serious. Take your blinkered, short term thinking with ... "be fruitful and multiply" and consider what this means exponentially with such an ever-increasing human impact on the environment which supplies basic needs. Are you say that life is meaningless?

That question ..... " Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" is answered with the reptile but further back in Earth's evolutionary time we can say an environment with the infinite relationships of its material constituents. You may also like to decide now if you still believe in the ignorance of an "intelligence existing before matter" mindset.
Posted by Keiran, Thursday, 28 December 2006 8:36:05 AM
Sells,

Hope your NY resolution is have some courage in your convinctions and engage in topics you, yourself, initiate. I suspect the real reason you write your articles is that you like the authorship, not being a participant.

You beg questions, but condemn answers. You pearch... one way. Yours is an a priori world, the closed world of fait compli. Even to a supposed theologian, the history of theocrasia known to antroplogy must make some impact? Look at the evidence! Don't act like a flat-earther refusing a ride in a spaceship.

"How does God exist?"... read the posts. There are many worthy views expressed by seemly articulate persons, without any "evil" agenda. Yet, with arrogance of the orthodox Brahmin, you dismiss, even for tentative consideration the views of others, because, we are a lower caste to you; the unclean, Untouchables, lepers. Herein, you are not true to the Forum; you are in conflict with the teachigs of your own faith.

Please debate or give up your pen
Posted by Oliver, Monday, 1 January 2007 2:30:14 PM
Keiran (28/12/06)

My early rural career began at a period when horse power transitioned to tractor. Many a working day began harnessing up, blinkers going on first. So I'm familiar with blinkered vision in a real
practical sense. But like all aspects of evolution, the tractor eventually took over.

Why choose the reptile? Are you an admirer of the late Steve Irwin?

As a hobbyist, I had no success with the propagation of ferns from spores. A 10X magnifying
glass was used to determine the maturity of sporangia. Success only came with a commercial
size attempt, using a 50X microscope lens. However, optical vision has its limitations. The
cellular structure of a bracken fern frond is revealed with a X2150 magnification by the electron
microscope. See photo by J.Troughton, Physics and Engineering Laboratory DSIR, New Zealand
in Kevin Handreck, “Growing Media” 1984 p4, NSW Univ Press.

In the fossil sequence, ferns came well before reptiles. It is generally agreed the evolutionary
sequence is not a smooth one. Rather, extinction of the dinosaurs occurred suddenly. It is also
recognised speciation occurred at the same time as extinction.

Rather than paleontology and physiology which can be fairly easily seen, I have rather preferred
to concentrate more on psychology and psychiatry. For example, Jane van Lawick-Goodall, “In
the Shadow of Man”, etc., after much painstaking work has revealed the remarkable and sometimes
cruel social life of the chimpanzees. These insights may go a long way to help elucidate our own
origins.

In the SUBORDER ANTHROPOIDEA, how did the Family Pongidae transition to the Family
Hominidae? Was it a slow process, or a sudden one?

My question (21/12/06) was asked in rather more prosaic terms by the Australian Academy of
Science in the textbook designed for Senior Australian students, “Biological Science: the web of life” 1967 p672, “...from where did the parents come, and the parents' parents, and so on? We
cannot escape the question”. On the next page, a diagram of the Miller spark discharge apparatus
is shown. Nothing happens until an electrical discharge occurs.

shmuel (contin)
Posted by shmuel, Wednesday, 10 January 2007 3:14:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 37
  7. 38
  8. 39
  9. Page 40
  10. 41
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy