The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Cyber Command may soon watch over us > Comments

Cyber Command may soon watch over us : Comments

By Peter Coates, published 10/11/2006

The US appears to be planning to intensify its worldwide surveillance of communications, including the Internet, as part of the War on Terror.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Guys & Gals,

All this spook talk is unnecessary.

There are many public domain encryption algorithms that are uncrackable - but that is also a matter of public record. (Try this - a ZNA through an 8th order convolution for starters!)

As for USA coming to our defence? Mmmmmm .. my grandfather doesn't remember any incidence of that !
Posted by Iluvatar, Friday, 17 November 2006 11:32:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pete: Desmond Ball? I recall his high profile [a frequent contributor to PDR], when writing a paper for Jim Killen 20+ years ago. To do with continental defence economics & defence offsets, not secret codes.

In the realm of unencrypted messages, traffic-levels can be monitored; to create alerts and without really knowing what is happening. [another deletion]

Visited your site.

Iluvatar: Agree with you, commercial encryption can be very sophisticated. No secret. :-)
Posted by Oliver, Friday, 17 November 2006 3:10:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oliver

"Pete: Desmond Ball? I recall his high profile [a frequent contributor to PDR], when writing a paper for Jim Killen 20+ years ago. To do with continental defence economics & defence offsets, not secret codes."

I suggest you read Desmond's biodata at http://rspas.anu.edu.au/people/personal/balld_sdsc.php

His collected works include:

- A Suitable Piece of Real Estate: American Installations in Australia, Sydney, 1980. [all about Pine Gap etc]

- A Base for Debate: The US Satellite Station at Nurrungar [sigint station], Allen & Unwin, Sydney, London and Boston, 1987.

- Pine Gap: Australia and the US Geostationary Signals Intelligence Satellite Program, Allen & Unwin, Sydney, 1988.

- Signals Intelligence in the Post-Cold War Era: Developments in the Asia-Pacific Region, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, Singapore, 1993.

- Burma's Military Secrets: Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) from the Second World War to Civil War and Cyber Warfare, White Lotus Press, Bangkok, 1998; and

- (with David Horner) Breaking the Codes: The KGB's Network in Australia, 1944-1950, Allen & Unwin, Sydney, 1998.

I rest my case on Des's knowledge of sigint of which codes are part :)

I think you were referring to signals traffic analysis (before you were deleted). Examples of such analysis are in pages 3 and 7 of this document http://www.stephenelittle.com/cms03.pdf

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 21 December 2006 12:32:24 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy