The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > On guns - look Down Under > Comments

On guns - look Down Under : Comments

By Greg Barns, published 25/10/2006

Canada could take a leaf out of John Howard's book when it comes to gun control laws.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Hi Stephen Heyer...

If you own a firearm, why is it necessary for you to keep it in the family home? You can't fire it; Presumably it simply sits in a gun safe. Therefore, it could just as easily be appropriately secured at a central storage facility. Or is it Stephen Heyer, nice to know that it's always on hand? Or perhaps in the event that some ne'er do well breaks into you abode, and commits a criminal act? And I suppose having a firearm in the house, does give one a certain 'peace of mind' in case this or that happens (what ever 'this or that' may be ?)

You state inter alia, that it would be cost prohibitive to establish a central storage facility. I reiterate, you wish to use guns, then let the user pay. I understand that the SSAA are quite cashed-up, I'm sure they'd assist initially.

You might be interested to know, that most policing bodies in Australia, rather then police members taking their personal service weapon home, (such was the case for years) are now required to lodge it, in special lockers at their stations. They draw their weapon at the commencement of shift, returning it, at 'Knock Off'.

You assert that if anyone has a problem with firearms (or words to that effect)...what actually is your point here? Further Stephen Heyer, you'd better get used to the 'Central Storage' concept, for it's not too far away !

Cheers...O Sung Wu.
Posted by o sung wu, Saturday, 28 October 2006 11:34:58 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The real cause of the spates of massacres that is media frenzy triggering copycats.

The activists cash in on the need for media to generate controversy, plus certain journalists' self-serving desire to be 'making a difference'. Those people are dead because the journalists and activists truly did make a difference.

And I note that Greg was a correspondent for the Hobart Mercury, which had particularly strong influence in the Bryant matter.

See my article at: http://www.c-l-a-s-s.net/Ideas%20Kill%20-%20Science%20and%20the%20Massacre%203.pdf

Chris
Posted by ChrisPer, Sunday, 29 October 2006 5:17:29 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I would advise reading the article by ChrisPer (Chris Allen) at
http://www.c-l-a-s-s.net/Ideas%20Kill%20-%20Science%20and%20the%20Massacre%203.pdf

I’ve seen more formal scientific work saying the same thing, but Chris’ article is short enough for people with only a casual interest in such things to bother reading.

The interesting thing that emerges from following the tactics and writings of the anti-gun mob is that they give little sign of being much interested in reducing deaths, let alone respecting cultural traditions that other people value. Rather, they have a mania to “get rid of (other peoples’) guns” even if it does little to reduce deaths and injuries, or even if doing so increases them in the long term.

Even more interestingly, when they control government, they seem to have a strong drive to heavily arm “their” police forces. It doesn’t seem to be weapons as such they dislike, just OTHER people having them.

I suppose that is quite an evolutionarily successful strategy if you can pull it off.
Posted by Stephen Heyer, Tuesday, 31 October 2006 2:03:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It seems to me a better way to stop massacres would be to simply increase spending on mental health.
I'm from a rural family, and started shooting when I was five years old. I've never shot anyone, and the thought has never crossed my mind, probably because I've seen first hand the damage bullets do to flesh.
Honestly, I doubt very much if the gun laws are the reason there hasn't been a massacre in a while, as the reality is if you want a gun, one is not that hard to obtain despite the gun laws.
Posted by Stomont, Tuesday, 31 October 2006 3:36:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi there Stephen Heyer...
Thank you for the 'reference' you suggested I read. I don't quite know what the author is trying to say, or the point he's attempting to make. Prima facie, it would seem that he's arguing that tough or tougher gun laws alone, do not prevent F/A massacres. I'd agree with that, in part. He eludes to the proposition that the media in toto, should share at least, a substantial moral responsibility for 'urging' some 'damaged' individuals ( the mentally ill) to go out and wreck havoc on the community. Emmmm. A fairly long bow, I should think? I agree absolutely, with the view that 'Stomont' articulated, apropos that mental illness may in part, be a very significant reason for a person to simply go out and slaughter innocents. Again, I don't know. I should say that as a veteran, I can tell you, that on the first occasion, that I realized that I may have killed another, I felt absolutely emotionally extirpated !

I don't know what motivates people to destroy others. And I would respectfully suggest, that neither would many others. Though I must say however, that generally I'm not persuaded by any arguement proffered by the many self styled pseudo social artificers, that are ensconced in a dusty little office, deep in the bowels of a university somewhere. Of course there is a place for the theoretician. But I'd suggest that this particular issue, needs much more than an academic approach for a workable and effective solution.

Cheers...O Sung Wu.
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 31 October 2006 6:06:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy