The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The collapse of Australia’s Pacific intervention > Comments

The collapse of Australia’s Pacific intervention : Comments

By Tim Anderson, published 20/10/2006

The fact is that very little Australian aid reaches Pacific peoples.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Daeron's assertion that all of PNGs problems "are the direct result of Canberra imposing a government based on European culture and incentives without any regard to the Melanesian people and culture whom it expected to become mimics of this alien and in my view foolish western lifestyle" is arrant nonsense, and raises questions about Daeron's knowledge of Australian administration of Papua New Guinea from 1945 to 1975.

PNGs local government system, developed in the 50s and 60s, was adapted from successful models in colonial Africa, and while there were obvious deficiencies, these laid the foundations for universal suffrage and parliamentary elections at both provincial and national levels. It is also important to remember that Australia acted strictly in accord with guidelines prescribed by the United Nations in which the new emerging nations in Africa played a pivotal role.

To blame Canberra for the current state of affairs in PNG, the massive corruption, unrest and high crime rate, not to mention other chronic problems such as the uncontrolled spread of AIDS, as is often implied by critics, is likewise absolute nonsense. PNG has been an independent nation for 31 years, the conduct of government processes has been in their hands exclusively, without any involvement from Canberra beyond supplying bucketloads of unaccounted budgetary assistance.

I take no comfort from this scenario because I have a close affinity with many good people in PNG - but to suggest that Australia is the culprit for deeds beyond its control is a gross misrepresentation of the facts.
Posted by Tambu, Saturday, 21 October 2006 3:36:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Grammatical deficiencies aside, I can claim some firsthand experience from some years working in the region, backed up by extensive documentary research. On that basis, my view is somewhere between that of Anderson and Dearon on the one hand, and that expressed by Tambu on the other.

I don't think I'm any kind of "bleeding heart" - if anything I'm something of a pragmatist. Neither Australia's nor our Pacific neighbours' interests are being well-served by the Howard government's current bully boy tactics.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Saturday, 21 October 2006 4:41:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Claiming "PNGs local government system, developed in the 50s and 60s" is a silly thing. Even the Americans know that is not true, as the 1957 joint Australian Dutch statement (see http://fandom.net/InfoKit/Src/NYT/19571107joint.pdf ) made clear, Australia was still only suggesting self-determination for some time in the future. It was only West Papua that since the 1930s had graduate teachers talking about a need for a national identity and government. That's why West Papua was able to vote for a national Parliament installed into power 5th April 1961. Not that the concept of local people having control of their nation's mineral resources was popular with the Bechtel or Freeport corporations.

As for your logic that Australia should use African government systems in Melanesia, not only shows your complete lack of any awareness of Melanesian cultures, but also shows you have nil knowledge of the entire UN Decolonization process. 1514 and 1541 are written specifically to prevent arrogant colonial powers trying to design other people's government and society.

This is not a forum where you can buff your way through.

The Australian governments did the wrong things for very stupid reasons, they mistook aberrant US pro-Jakarta Diplomat actions as proof of some secret US pro-Jakarta agenda and assumed they should get PNG off its hands ASAP. If Australia had had the gumption to publically ask the US government if it had a pro-Jakarta agenda, the resulting investigation would undoubtably have exposed Bechtel and its associates and their vested desires to mine and otherwise profit from the region via a proxy Jakarta colonial government. And we wouldn't be struck with either the "US Indonesia Society" or the "Australia Indonesia Institute" trying to bend us to their po-Jakarta agenda.
Posted by Daeron, Saturday, 21 October 2006 6:41:48 PM
LOL, this clown Daeron is so hilarious. He has such deep hatred and paranoia of Indonesia, he somehow managed to concoct in his imagination that Indonesia is somehow to blame for the collapse of law and order in the failed states of PNG and Solomon Islands.

Fact is:

1) East Timor, PNG, and Solomon Islands became failed states because their tribalistic people lack the civilisational sophistication necessary to develop the modern concept of "nation-state".

2) Australia tried to be a bully-boy because these three countries have been sub-contracted by USA into Australia "sphere of influence". Instability in this area would make Australia look like an incompetent buffoon in the face of its master USA. However, the local leaders would prefer their countries be failed states rather than allow Australian "re-colonisation".

3) Papua became integrated to the glorious nation of Indonesia because such is the iron will of Indonesian people (Trikora / Triple People's Command). Such is also the will of native Papuan people (Pepera 1969). USA under President JFK was willing to go head over heels to make friends with the great Indonesian people, hence they supported our just cause.

4) As for Australia, whether you agree or disagree with our integration, won't make any difference since Indonesia is way above Australia's league. Basically, weakling Australians can scream begging for us to take notice of your complaints until your throats are dry, but it won't even shift the iron will of mighty Indonesian people even for one mm. Heck, even tiny Solomon Islands couldn't care less about what Australians think lol.
Posted by Proud to be Indonesian, Sunday, 22 October 2006 10:49:13 AM
Tim, your mention of the term colonialism brings to mind of John Howard's increasing persona since elected of that of a 19th century colonial statesman. Indeed, he is apparently doing better than GW Bush, and might be the only one left successful out of the Anglophile trio participating in the neo-colonialist debacle in the Middle East.

Nevertheless, one feels that Howard's attempted role of an imperialist deputy sheriff in the Sou-West Pacific area, going by what has been happening lately, might indeed be his undoing
Posted by bushbred, Sunday, 22 October 2006 11:42:08 AM
Tim Anderson has successfully hit the nail firmly on the head.
As a Papua New Guinean, this assessment is the most objective and honest commentary that I have seen for a long time.

Australia must know that:-

1. He is dealing with 21st Century Papua New Guineans (PNGeans).
The era in which agendas were shoved down the throat is no longer
applicable today.

2. Singing songs and dances about the 20% (useful in PNG's conext) on
Australia's so-called AID is superficial and doesn't cut.

3. PNG and the South Pacific Islands for that matter WILL NEVER SINK
in the South Pacific ocean when Canberra puts an end to its overly
publicized AID package. Our way of life is completely different from
the imperialist world. That is why we have survived long generations
and generations ago and we will continue to survive. Your insistence is for purely self-interest. We haven’t seen an inkling of generous offer.

4. PNG and the other Pacific Islanders are fed up of lectures that
amount to nothing but empty cymbals. Reassess your foreign policies
on AID, Green House Effect and greed for economic resources and a
quick litmus test to see if they’re in consistent with your
so-called Australian values.

5. PNG's nationhood is merely 31 years. This is merely a whisper in the race of time. We will manage and improve at our own pace with the education and training that we've managed to acquire in the last 31 years after deliberate attempt by Canberra to keep us ignorant and illiterate for the greater part of Australia's colonial era. (1890's - 1975)

6. PNGeans don't live off other people’s opinions', perception and
stereotypes. We will chart our own course in destiny.

7. Oh, by the way, I was not a recipient of Australia’s Scholarship
assistance to PNG. I was born, bred, raised and schooled in PNG (my paradise).
Posted by Forever Optimist PNGean, Sunday, 22 October 2006 12:09:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy