The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A recruitment and retention crisis in the ADF > Comments

A recruitment and retention crisis in the ADF : Comments

By Robert McClelland, published 24/10/2006

Military service should not be at the expense of family life.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Hell why don't we outsource it that's what we do whenever we have labour troubles in other sectors.
Posted by Kenny, Tuesday, 24 October 2006 2:00:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree completely with the article or at least what I read when I skimmed through it.

It is not just leaving the ADF that causes depletion. I expect that many people won't join in the first place for the simple reason that they know the writing is on the wall in terms of making family life difficult if they sign up. I know there is at least one such person. I would have joined but for that factor.
Posted by mjpb, Wednesday, 25 October 2006 10:43:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A young person joins the ADF to-day to obtain security in employment and experience the Comradeship and Adventure that they perceive the ADF has to offer,Patriotism is further down the ladder.The new recruit may find,in the first few months,that it is all they thought it would be.Then they become more aware.They learn that should they serve in combat and become a casualty of war,the very Government who put them in harms way will,to use my Fathers terms,Throw them on the scrap heap.I served in the ADF for 13 1/2 years,I know.However few pay attention to the Digger and he/she is the very one who knows how it could be changed.How does it feel to be told by a Canberra based Politician,whilst serving in East Timor,that you will not be paid this allowance or that allowance.When his allowance,for being there for one night,is your weekly wage,thats just his allowance.
Posted by JIMJ, Wednesday, 25 October 2006 6:02:28 PM
My only experience of armed forces life may not be relevant in many respects to today's Australian situation, but here it is.

I was called up for National Service in England at the time of the Korean War and did two years in the Royal Navy. I had what we used to call a "cushy number" and was resourceful enough to look after my own interests and avoid some of the more unpleasant aspects of service life. And between the ages of 18 and 20, many of us can put up with all sorts of inconveniences which we wouldn't want a little later in life. But no way would I have signed on for further service and no way would I have encouraged my sons to enlist, except in a possible time of genuine national emergency.

I have never objected to doing a good job, regardless of my employment situation. But I bitterly resented the short haircuts and the requirement to always have a fresh shave [unless you had a regulation type beard], even when you were out at sea. And the necessity of being in "the rig of the day". And the succession of inconveniences and injustices and cow-towing to so-called superior officers, even if they were just jumped-up idiots. [I also met many officers and NCOs who were excellent people and had no trouble at all being both liked and respected, so I'm not just speaking from the rebellious attitude of youth.]

One of the things I remember most of all was the heartache of family men separated from their wives and children for long periods. Whether it was necessary or not [I believe often not], this wasn't something I wanted to be part of.

Since being in Australia, I have seen quite enough of the disgraceful way in which successive governments, bureaucrats and govt depts have treated some of our brave and resourceful service men and women and their families, particularly situations involving physical or psychological injury to, or death of serving members. Under the circumstances, it's a wonder Australia gets any volunteer recruits at all.
Posted by Rex, Wednesday, 25 October 2006 7:17:39 PM
Mr McClelland,
An open letter to you,Sir,the reason we have a crisis,as you state,in the Recruitment and Retention,of Armed Forces Personnell,is because you and you ilk,over a number of years,and various Governments,have ignored,for your Political Reasons,to address concerns voiced by ADF Personnell.Now you test the water on this forum,again for your own Political Reasons.My advice to you,Sir,is to get out and speak to and act on the advice given by the"The People in the FIELD" not the Senior Defence Force Staff or thier Public Servant Masters.Get down and cosy,then and only then,you will know the answer.Though I doubt you would act on it,Prove me wrong
Posted by JIMJ, Wednesday, 25 October 2006 7:40:32 PM
You failed to analyse the main reason this is occurring.

As much as people won't like this, the reality is is that most from non-western European cultures don't really consider this nation their "real country".

I used to be amazed in Cabramatta, where I grew up in the late 1980's and early 90's, that all the fire brigade, police, SES, and so on, were still all white Europeans (including Greeks, Yugolslav, and so on).

According to the ABS, Anglo's make up 8.5 million of the 20 million population (and that includes those born in England, Scotland, and Ireland, so while the traditional population is decreasing, since they are still 99% of those who join such occupations, of course the numbers are going down.

Asians, for example, become Dr's but rarely join the jobs that show loyalty to the country's institutions.

It makes me wonder how we are going to be in 50 years, likely just the hellholes they all left if multiculturalism still reigns.

To have divided loyalties means one will never join our military.

I've even seen cases in England where soldiers returned from Iraq have had their houses burnt, wives threatened with pack rape, and so on, by Muslims who have sought them out after seeing their pictures in the paper.

Unless we have forced service, which will never happen, this country, unless Anglo's and other Europeans start having 8 kids each, will have no army.

Oh, I'm aware of the nonsense argument about how, after a few generations, they'll fit in.

Mabye with Asians, but not Muslims. They have been living in England for up to four generations yet this one is more radicalised and racist than any before it.
Posted by Benjamin, Friday, 27 October 2006 8:53:32 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy