The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Kevin Rudd’s ‘muscular Christianity’ > Comments

Kevin Rudd’s ‘muscular Christianity’ : Comments

By Carol Johnson, published 17/10/2006

The Labor Good Samaritan - Kevin Rudd - is weak on homosexuality and the Culture Wars.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 18
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. Page 21
  10. All
Adding to w's comments. m Are you suggesting that heterosexual High Court Judges should not hear cases where the defendant is an attractive member of the opposite sex?
Posted by West, Tuesday, 31 October 2006 4:50:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
West,

I believe homosexuals are smarter. In any event they are in a different ballpark to other groups claiming minority status. This is enormously advantageous for achieving change. However I don’t draw the conclusions you do from the rest of that post.

The point I was making is that homosexuals have a lot of power and I believed that the despised Christianity has afforded the opportunity. There are homosexuals in Federal Parliament and one of the High Court demigods is openly gay. I acknowledge your contrary view regarding Christian society.

W,

That brings up a related issue. It appears that: When lifestyle choice is a useful image it is the buzzwords. When notions of equality would be better promoted by having no choice homosexuals become born that way. When homosexuals want marriage they make themselves sound financially disadvantaged. When they want to be valued as tourists they cite surveys by marketing companies that might not be accurate (although I suspect it is) that make them look wealthy. Perhaps this (apparent) tactfulness is associated with cleverness…

“Naturally having a higher income would be a valid reason to discriminate …”

The ATO would agree with the words I quoted. Discrimination can cover a broad range.

”Are you arguing that because one group fares badly it’s OK to discriminate against another?”

No just pointing out that things don’t always seem to be portrayed as just being about equal rights and gays in poverty is probably an inaccurate depiction. From comments I read somewhere recently you would think that homosexuals would be in poverty if they don’t get marriage legalized. Whether this was a positive assertion or just an omission of any reference to ‘just equal rights’ I don't recall.

”On the point about homosexuals enjoying representation in parliament and in the High Court, you stand corrected.”

Absolutely and there is nothing to suggest that the ideals you expect them to aspire to are not complied with so any suggestion they do not live up to the ideal would be nothing more than speculation. Representation was a poor choice of word.
Posted by mjpb, Wednesday, 1 November 2006 2:16:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
mjpb Tony Abbott is openly Christian , more so he represents only the agenda of his darkage and ignorant superstition. There is no other person in the entire history of Australian politics who is as symbolic of anti-democracy as Tony stands for. Because of the superstitious and ignorant idiocy of the darkage cult of Catholicism he has literally murdered hundreds of thousands perhaps millions and created suffering of millions more by denying the potential benifits of stem cell research. All because of what ignorant and self obsessed witchdoctors in the catholic cult say two cells equates to - a 'person'?! Ironically the fetus goes through the stages of Darwinian evolution re-enacting the steps. Which means by Christian logic that eating fish is cannibalism. Well at least to eat a fish is to deny its potential to evolve into a human. Will Catholics starve to prove they are right? No , they know they are wrong! Now tell us what Gay leader has demanded we all be Gay?
Posted by West, Wednesday, 1 November 2006 2:50:47 PM
Westy,

'Now tell us what Gay leader has demanded we all be Gay?'

Ok - how about Jesus Christ (JC to some).

"I am The Way" (meaning we should all do exactly as he did)
and he directed us all to Love our Fellow Man! : 0

Sorry - that was just too opportune to resist!
Posted by BrainDrain, Wednesday, 1 November 2006 3:21:12 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
West:

“Ironically the fetus goes through the stages of Darwinian evolution re-enacting the steps.”

Recapitulation theory has been largely abandoned, although there are some elements of the original theory that have been retained in the modern synthesis of evolutionary biology. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recapitulation_theory

There are lots of fascinating debates and areas of study in evolutionary biology: can I recommend, if you haven’t already read it, “The God Delusion” by Richard Dawkins. I reckon you might enjoy it. It seems a pity to me that so much energy has to be spent defending science against the fundies, when there are much more interesting and real questions and arguments to look at.

I agree with you, though about the absurd suggestion that gays are trying to “convert” other people to homosexuality. If it were true it would be a depressingly futile exercise for such evangelists. It seems strange that such an assertion is most likely to come from evangelizing Christians. A case of protesteth too much?
Posted by Snout, Thursday, 2 November 2006 10:29:56 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 18
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. Page 21
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy