The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Fly times when the dry comes > Comments

Fly times when the dry comes : Comments

By Julian Cribb, published 16/10/2006

When the dung beetles down tools let the cafe latte set beware!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
I am screaming already, believe me ! bring on the African beetle as well, I say, and halt the toads. Can you set about developing beetles that like dry dung ? Does this whole bio control thing also apply to blow flies or only bush flies ?
Posted by kang, Monday, 16 October 2006 11:04:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As we used to say in the army, "Bull*t baffles brains"
Posted by VK3AUU, Monday, 16 October 2006 1:02:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Crikey, Canberra would have trillions and trillions of flies.

Maybe if some of the prime suspects for dung production, namely politicians, spent most of their time abroad the problem could be reduced.

But wait, they are already doing that!
Posted by Cornflower, Monday, 16 October 2006 4:17:47 PM
Far more impressive is the Australian dung Beazle(y), which, when swallowed by voters, calmly bores its way out of government.

However, due to the terrifying expansion of opportunistic predators on the other side of the fence, this harmless bug may soon need to make way for a bolder greebly which can dig itself out of the excrement poured on it by the wily and conservative Shockus jockus, and is immune to the current epidemic of Ignoramus mediahypeus.
Posted by Sancho, Monday, 16 October 2006 4:37:17 PM
As one of those landcare enthusiasts that Julian Cribb commends for paying attention to the work of dung beetles, I'd like to think there is something landowners should do to maintain their stocks. Keep a small moist nursery area with the regular addition of a few cow pads. That way you will have aan available population of bugs ready to colonise the rest of the property when it rains.
Posted by jup, Wednesday, 18 October 2006 11:17:27 AM
Great article, great points and a very sad story. People in
city ivory towers closed down the WA programme, when only
half the work had been done. The net result is that beetles
were not matched up with some of the drier areas in WA.

So Japanese tourists trustingly go out to Wave Rock in Hyden,
following what the brochures say, then nearly get eaten
alive. Will they advise their friends to visit after that?
I doubt it.

I sincerely hope that bushflies invade the cities and their
cafes, then the pencilpushers might review their mistakes
and get real on that programme. Its not too late to crank
it up again and finish what was never finished
Posted by Yabby, Sunday, 22 October 2006 10:11:01 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy