The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Think morally - rejecting the coercive adoption of Aussie values > Comments

Think morally - rejecting the coercive adoption of Aussie values : Comments

By Mirko Bagaric, published 21/9/2006

Aussie values - mateship, hard work and respect for women. And all the tourists want to do is sit on the beach!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All
I agree totally with the article and many of the comments. The truth is that Australia aquired new values in 1788. To the values of the Aborigines we added the values of several new cultures in one fleet:-

Anglo protestant
Irish Catholic
Jewish

There may have been more.

When sovereignty was claimed over the Torres Straits islands we added a new set of values.

Then came:-

Chinese
Afghan
Other European
Pacific Islanders

If I have left anyone out please correct me.

Then came hundreds more.

Each new group is initially rejected by the rest and then a new set of values are forged, with some individual groups forming their own variants. The only group which have tried to impose their views on the rest are the Anglo protestants. The only real losers have been the indigenous people.

My own family are Jewish settlers form the late 19th century. It is possible to be slightly different within the main body. Let's be honest the Anglos themselves are slightly different. Good governement helps iron out the problems. The Menzies, Whitlam, Frazer and Hawke administrations all actively led us into the new Australia, one of which we are justly proud.

Then came Howard and his miserable friends. When leadership fails problems occur as they have now. Surely the Cronulla riots could have been averted with proper leadership.

Perhaps the most important Australian value is multiculturalism. could we ask everyone to sign up to that?
Posted by logic, Saturday, 30 September 2006 8:51:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy