The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Man - it costs to be a woman > Comments

Man - it costs to be a woman : Comments

By Margaret Ann Williams, published 14/9/2006

Why do women feel compelled to spend on sequined tops, herbal spa treatments and Brazilians?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Scout, my girlfriend loves Bunnings as well and one of my best friends gets picked on by other female friends because of her enjoyment of four wheel driving, fishing etc.

I know plenty of women like that stuff, my response was an attempt at humour at the authors one sided look at the expenses faced by women.

I also know some guys who spend lots on grooming. The stereotypes have some broad application but fail when we look at real people. Some of us fit them others don't.

The real misuse of gender sterotypes is in the article.

Cheers
R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 15 September 2006 9:35:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How to save money, whether you are male or female.

Don't buy unnecessary clothing:

So called Formal/Business Wear. The man's suit was originally a horse riding outfit in Britain and Northern Europe. Wearing it in most of Australia puts an extra reliance on airconditioning, which is expensive and environmentally harmful. I stopped dressing like that for business when I was an area manager for an insurance company back in the 1970s. I've been a social Ballroom/Latin dancer since I was 16. It's ridiculous trying to dance in a suit. I wear a light open necked shirt and light pants for dancing and so do most of my contemporaries. It's easy for the ladies. They can wear as little as they dare!

Sleepwear. Why wear clothes for sleeping in? Think about it, traditionally a woman sleeps in a dress and a man sleeps in a suit. Why?

Underclothing. Male, underpants. Female, bra and pants. Anything else is superfluous. And some ladies don't really need a bra. Whatever the manufacturers say, a bra will not stop the process of gravity, but a healthy lifestyle and sensible exercise may help.

Swimwear. Uncomfortable, unhealthy and unnecessary. And, for ladies, ridiculously expensive. If you have your own pool and/or are fortunate to live near a clothes optional beach you just don't need it.

Personal grooming.
Mostly hype, designed to cheat you out of your money. Most moisturisers won't moisturise your skin. Most make-up is just a superficial paint job. Most shampoos and conditioners can actually harm your hair. There are exceptions. For those who can be bothered, get a copy of The Chemical Maze [subtitled Your Guide to Food Additives and Cosmetic Ingredients] by Australian author/researcher Bill Statham [available at health food shops]. Then check the products you're using and prepare to be surprised.

Don't get addicted to anything. No smoking,no uncontrollable drinking or gambling. No uncontrollable "keeping up with the neighbours". Self esteem costs nothing. Trying to buy self esteem is likely to cost more than you earn.

Spend the money you save on keeping healthy and giving yourself an affordable, interesting life.
Posted by Rex, Friday, 15 September 2006 1:44:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rex: one of the best posts I've seen on OLO. I liked the tip about swimwear - should be optional at most beaches. There should be prude beaches, and the remainder, the majority, nude beaches.

Has anyone ever stood in a supermarket queue next to someone with a really full shopping trolley? Most of the stuff is either superfluous or harmful. There will be 10 bottles of carbonated soft drink - full of sugar and artificial flavour. Get used to the taste of refrigerated tapwater - extremely cheap and good for your health (in most cities). 10 different kinds of cleaning products. Most household cleaning can be done with sodium bicarbonate or vinegar. You might occasionally need something stronger like sugar soap or ammonia, but rarely.

Chocolates, cakes, sweets etc etc - ween yourself off them, slim your waistline and fatten your bank account.

etc etc
Posted by PK, Friday, 15 September 2006 2:52:37 PM
Is this is a spoof or a whinge?

I mean, "Do men have to take taxis at night just to feel safe? No. (And they don’t have to queue for the loo either.) It’s not fair."

No, it isn't. Life's unfair. Get a grip, lady.

Women spend more, pay more, shop more, self-indulge more. Men, well, "they spend on booze, cars, home repairs, eating out, gambling and holidays". All these things are more enjoyable than shopping, for heaven's sake. 72 minute's shopping is about 70 minutes too much.

Here's a secret - most guys don't understand women's fixation with shoes, hair, apparell, perfume & so on. They don't ask them buy all this stuff, and most don't expect it. When I ask women friends why they spend so much on clothes, hair, shoes etc., more often than not it's too 'just feel good about myself', or even to impress other women. Who's the author trying to kid?
Posted by bennie, Friday, 15 September 2006 4:57:11 PM
Rex,
"if you own a pool..."
Another money saving tip.
Don't buy a pool!
Posted by ChrisC, Friday, 15 September 2006 6:26:40 PM
A smile is worth a thousand dollars of cosmetics.
Don't you love it when you see some grossly fat chick spending a fortune on hair-do or something just as pathetic.
Just keep away from women. The better they look the more it is going to cost you in the long run; financially and every other way.
Posted by citizen, Friday, 15 September 2006 7:23:08 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy