The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Bland, politically correct values > Comments

Bland, politically correct values : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 12/9/2006

Values education is a poor thing, a weak attempt at social engineering aimed at making us better.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Flezzey, I have no time for fundamentalists, but do they really “openly decry democracy as being of the devil”. If it is indeed “open”, perhaps you can supply evidence.

Sells, I agree with your main point, that values education cut off from an underlying narrative is unlikely to take root or transform behaviour. But you may be too quick to dismiss secular culture’s capacity to embed its values in narratives. This is surely what the history wars and current debate about Australian values are all about. Controversy about the selection and presentation of the central Australian historical myths – Gallipoli and the Eureka stockade, the first fleet and terra nullius, the light on the hill and Ned Kelly, the rejection of conscription and England’s perfidy during and after the fall of Singapore – is in essence a battleground about current values, not past events.

Whether these are wholesome or satisfactory narratives is another question.
Posted by Rhian, Wednesday, 13 September 2006 3:51:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
JohnJ... random... why the person dislike?
Posted by YngNLuvnIt, Wednesday, 13 September 2006 5:33:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I meant personal... sigh there go my two posts for this forum today.
Posted by YngNLuvnIt, Wednesday, 13 September 2006 5:34:04 PM
Rhian,
Good point. I do not think I have underestimated how well secular narratives become embedded. That is my point about the secular narrative of consumption, the emphasis on experience, the culture that is essentially to do with the avoidance of suffering and death etc. But these are narratives without a narrative if you will, more like ideologies than narratives derived from historical event. The reason the church gives presence to the narratives of Israel and of Jesus is that these are seen as accurately describing the human dilemma apart from ideology or religion. Of course those narratives that adhere to the nation Australia you mentioned must be important. And yet, if these narratives are interpreted to produce nationalism then we have problems. During its long history Israel realised that nationalistic narratives leads to idolatry and disaster. The nation replaces YHWH and nationalistic triumphalism then eventuates. This is certainly the situation in America, let us not follow!
Posted by Sells, Wednesday, 13 September 2006 6:11:27 PM
Sells

Who sees the narratives of Israel and of Jesus as accurately describing the human dilemma apart from ideology or religion? Must be you and your fellow theological “scientists”.

And another gem:

“That is my point about the secular narrative of consumption, the emphasis on experience, the culture that is essentially to do with the avoidance of suffering and death etc”

And there I was thinking Jesus went around healing the sick, bringing the dead back to life. And of course people don’t pray to God for an end to their suffering, a better life.

And no doubt you would tell your flock that they have to open their hearts to Jesus in order to “experience” his love.

And of course the obvious contradiction here is that you are trying to position your beliefs as pseudo-secular narrative i.e “apart from ideology or religion”, and yet you criticise “secular narrative”.

You are a very confused and conflicted man Sells.
Posted by tao, Wednesday, 13 September 2006 10:47:44 PM
YngNLuvnIt, my apologies if you took my jibe personally, it was just meant as a joke.

I think the idea of involving youth in aid projects is a good one, but I'm suspicious of the notion that the "young people of today" have things too easy. You can trace a refrain about the decay of moral fibre in youth back to ancient Greece. To me it is just one more media-driven moral panic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_panic

Young people lack experience in the world, because they're YOUNG. One of the few advantages of getting older is having more experience to draw from. Just as well, with hair and teeth falling out, arthritis etc, there's got to be something good about getting older.
Posted by Johnj, Thursday, 14 September 2006 10:21:30 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy