The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Steve Irwin - why we admired a boy who wouldn't grow up > Comments

Steve Irwin - why we admired a boy who wouldn't grow up : Comments

By Leslie Cannold, published 7/9/2006

Steve Irwin - there was more to the larrikin in khaki than even some fans saw.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
What interested me about Steve Irwin was the fact that he put his MONEY where his mouth was. It really saddens me that he died so young.

What saddens me about Attenborough is that just because he has the accent of a British "toff" - some people think he's "classy". He doesn't seem to me to point out the fact that meat-eating animals only kill the weakest and often the sickest of their prey, thereby performing, dare I say it, a "humane" task.

I grieve for Steve Irwins family.
Posted by Sundari, Saturday, 9 September 2006 4:44:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Australia has lost a Son - Steve Irwin

Australia has lost one of its most rarest Gems.

Steve Irwin, Conservationists and Crocodile Hunter lost his life in a freak tragic accident whilst diving off the Queensland coast at Port Douglas.

Steve Irwin was a National and International "Phenomenon" who had a boundless energy and passion for life.

Steve Irwin bought to the world, unknown boundaries of life, opportunities to see places we would have never seen in a lifetime.

Steve Irwin would sell the shirt off his own back, to save and conserve Australia's Marine and Wildlife.

He loved Australia.

Steve Irwin a great Son, Husband and Father.

Steve Irwin leaves behind the most precious legacy he has, two great Australian children.

Australia's honour to Steve Irwin is to take care and watch over this precious legacy.

Steve Irwin had no fear of death
Posted by Suebdootwo, Saturday, 9 September 2006 1:03:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sundari

I don't believe you have watched Attenborough sufficiently when you claim that his footage portrays predatory animals only bringing down weak or sick animals.

The animals he portrays brings down any unsuspecting species which just got in the way or was in closest proximity to the predator. This does not necessarily indicate that they are any weaker or sicker than the rest of the herd.

Steve Irwin did not depend on Nature's violent side to attract viewers - Attenborough does!
Posted by dickie, Saturday, 9 September 2006 3:15:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Whatever one`s opinion regarding Steve, it is undeniable that through him many people who would not ordinarily know much about Australia were aware of it through him. I was sitting eating dinner in a little chop-house in a tiny village in the middle of China the evening of the day he died. At first I could not believe I was hearing the name correctly in that strange setting, but at last I asked what people were talking about and so learned of his death. It was a shock to me as I used to live not far from him and have had quite a bit of contact with Australia Zoo. But the biggest shock of all was to find him the topic of dinner conversation in a place where the average person has no clear idea even of where Australia lies. None of the foreign teachers here in my University even know the name of our Prime Minister, but every one of them I encountered in shocked voices passed on their commiserations regarding Steve. So...good on ya, mate.
Posted by Romany, Saturday, 9 September 2006 4:45:46 PM
PK

Steve never spoke out about the Cruelty of live exports.

Given his title it would have helped.

I guess he had his reasons but I will just say this.

His kids probably will see this one day.

Well I sure hope that makes you happy.

I am with that other bloke. Dont drink in my pub either.Crawl back under the rock you came from.

You Forum is beyond the PALE.
Posted by Wendy Lewthwaite, Saturday, 9 September 2006 6:39:30 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I never met Steve Irwin, but my daughter is taught at UQ by scientists who worked with him, including on his most recent crocodile-tagging trip, which they say would have achieved only a small fraction of what it did without Steve. My daughter says that before Steve died, the UQ staff had made clear their admiration for Steve - they held him in very high regard both in terms of his contribution to conservation and as a person. Good on ya, Steve.
Posted by Faustino, Sunday, 10 September 2006 1:25:45 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy