The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Women overlooked in biotech debate > Comments

Women overlooked in biotech debate : Comments

By Katrina George, published 13/9/2006

Women must be protected from exploitation and harm in the application of science.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
No one is talking about forcing women to donate. Women are empowered in this country if they don't want to do something they don't. This is a non issue.
Posted by Kenny, Wednesday, 13 September 2006 1:33:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I thought the issue was about using unwanted embryos left over from IVF. I have never heard of women being asked to contribute eggs for research on any large scale.

If women are being coerced, then it is an issue, Kenny. We're not machines - baby or egg!

However, it helps to know what Ms George's agenda is. She supported Tony Abbot's "counselling for pregnant women" and has written on late-term abortion stating that is it a common occurrance, as if women have late term abortions without very good reason. And the fact remains late-term abortion is very rare indeed.

She is subtle, her message isn't clearly anti-abortion, but she is known to support those, such as Abbot who are most vehemently anti-choice.

Therefore, I am unable to take her at her word on this article. Where is the evidence that women are being treated as egg farms?

I think this is just another underhanded attack on the potential benefits of stem-cell research. http://www.democrats.org.au/campaigns/womens_rights_watch/#Abortion%20Myths%20and%20Facts
Posted by Scout, Wednesday, 13 September 2006 3:05:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nita Solanki is an interesting name, something to do with east enders. I spent a couple of hours trying to validate the author's claim.

An un-named person is mentioned in news reports of the incident.

Surely the logical extention of this article is the banning of IVF, thereby denying many people of the chance to have a family. Morally wrong of course :)
Posted by Steve Madden, Wednesday, 13 September 2006 3:16:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy